    there a design pattern or existing framework to deal with this problem?

    Ningjun
    , Oct 26, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > the same login id already, no other user can login with the same login
    > id anymore until some of them logout or close their browser.

    The problem is not so much about tracking concurrent log-ins, but more
    about tracking log-outs. So, in this case, even if 5 users with same
    credentials log in and immediately close their browsers, the 6th person
    should be able to log in. On the other hand, the server will not
    invalidate the 5 sessions unless there is a timeout.

    -cheers,
    Manish
    Manish Pandit, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Carramba Guest

    wrote:
    > We have a commercial J2EE web application. Our users pay monthly fee to
    > get a login. After login, they can search and browse all articles in
    > our web site. The problem is that some user buy one login id and then
    > share it to many friends who did not pay. We want to limit the
    > concurrent login to 5. This means if 5 users login to our site using
    > the same login id already, no other user can login with the same login
    > id anymore until some of them logout or close their browser.
    >
    > This is a very common problems for any commercial web application. Is
    > there a design pattern or existing framework to deal with this problem?
    >
    > Ningjun

    maybe I don't understand your problem but solution to this is simple :)
    if I understand correctly.
    why don't you log ip from with user when he/She loggs in and do not
    allow any other same user login from elsewhere (other ip or limit to
    some sub-class like 192.168.3.*) while the user is on website?

    Carra
    Carramba, Oct 27, 2006