How to load two files in a frameset

Imda14u

Hi all,

I have a frameset of two rows.
the second frame is a frameset of two columns.

Now, i have a hyperlink in the first row of the top frame.
When i click the hyperlink, i want to load two files in the frames the
second frameset.

Please, how do i go about?

Any help is greatly apprciated.

Sybolt

dorayme

Imda14u said:
Hi all,

I have a frameset of two rows.
the second frame is a frameset of two columns.

Now, i have a hyperlink in the first row of the top frame.
When i click the hyperlink, i want to load two files in the frames the
second frameset.

Make the hyperlink go to a new prepared frameset, which has the same top
frame but a different lower frameset. The lower frameset will have its
own two frames and you prepare the changes to the these two latter
frames.

Post a URL for further details. Please try to use a proper doctype for
your framesets and validate as best as you can. Use a proper doctype to
the frames themselves and validate these two.

If you cannot get to do what you want after this, you will get every
kind of help from me because I like seeing framed sites like I like
seeing old cars on the road, even ones that manage to keep going in
spite of every possible disadvantage (a sight that makes more modern
drivers shake their heads and tut tut away).

Imda14u

dorayme schreef:
Make the hyperlink go to a new prepared frameset, which has the same top
frame but a different lower frameset. The lower frameset will have its
own two frames and you prepare the changes to the these two latter
frames.

Post a URL for further details. Please try to use a proper doctype for
your framesets and validate as best as you can. Use a proper doctype to
the frames themselves and validate these two.

If you cannot get to do what you want after this, you will get every
kind of help from me because I like seeing framed sites like I like
seeing old cars on the road, even ones that manage to keep going in
spite of every possible disadvantage (a sight that makes more modern
drivers shake their heads and tut tut away).
Yes, of course.

i was looking for some javascript snippet using parent and all that, but
your suggestions is frankly much more straightforward.
Thanks a lot.

Sybolt

Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
the lovely and said:
If you cannot get to do what you want after this, you will get every
kind of help from me because I like seeing framed sites like I like
seeing old cars on the road, even ones that manage to keep going in
spite of every possible disadvantage (a sight that makes more modern
drivers shake their heads and tut tut away).

Framesets? Ha! Real classics include MARQUEE and BLINK.

cwdjrxyz

In our last episode,

Framesets?  Ha!  Real classics include MARQUEE and BLINK.

And be sure to include an auto-started midi playing at full volume and
several animated gifs, such as dancing cows, if you want a true
classic :).

dorayme

Lars Eighner said:
In our last episode,

Framesets? Ha! Real classics include MARQUEE and BLINK.

You are not wrong Lars. If I design a website for a client in frames, I
always make sure to include both the above, even going to the trouble of
mimicking BLINK with an animated gif to cope with those *really
annoying* prudish browsers that refuse to support this element.

dorayme

cwdjrxyz said:
And be sure to include an auto-started midi playing at full volume and
several animated gifs, such as dancing cows, if you want a true
classic :).

I *must* remember this one too! <g>

Ari Heino

cwdjrxyz kirjoitti seuraavasti:
And be sure to include an auto-started midi playing at full volume and
several animated gifs, such as dancing cows, if you want a true
classic :).

.... and text going from edge to edge, cut to small vertical chunks by
hr-elements or blinking Christmas decoration gif separators :D

Roy A.

Hi all,

I have a frameset of two rows.
the second frame is a frameset of two columns.

You should forget about framesets and start learning web 2.0.
Framesets is not working, you can still right click and bookmark any
frames you want. Framesets won't slow down your pages to much and it
will work in most browsers. Web 2.0 is the future, but if you want a
tableless design, framesets is a good alternative.

Jani

dorayme schreef:
Yes, of course.

i was looking for some javascript snippet using parent and all that, but
your suggestions is frankly much more straightforward.
Thanks a lot.

Sybolt

Wait - just for completness ... I theef it from german's selfhtml.org:
http://www.validome.org/doc/HTML_ge/javascript/beispiele/zweiframes.htm

I did not think about it at all.
I just used 'search&replace' in DW to change it to english

<head>
<title>Changing two Frames simultaniously</title>
</head>
<frameset cols="180,*">
<frame src="twoframes_left.htm" name="left">
<frameset rows="180,*">
<frame src="twoframes_to.htm" name="top">
<frame src="twoframes_tu.htm" name="bottom">
</frameset>

<head>
<title>Two frames - Links</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function ChangeFrame (URI, Framename) {
parent[Framename].location.href = URI;
}

function TwoFramesBack (Framename1, Framename2) {
Frame2 = parent[Framename2];
parent[Framename1].history.back();
if (!window.opera)
window.setTimeout("Frame2.history.back()", 100);
}

function TwoFramesForward (Framename1, Framename2) {
Frame2 = parent[Framename2];
parent[Framename1].history.forward();
if (!window.opera)
window.setTimeout("Frame2.history.forward()", 100);
}
</script>
</head>
alink="#000000">
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1">

<b>|</b>
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1">

<h2>Links</h2>

basilisk

dorayme said:
You are not wrong Lars. If I design a website for a client in frames, I
always make sure to include both the above, even going to the trouble of
mimicking BLINK with an animated gif to cope with those *really
annoying* prudish browsers that refuse to support this element.

http://home.att.net/~keith.martin/

priceless

basilisk

basilisk

Ed Mullen said:
As I was scrolling the page my mouse ran over a bunch of the links. I
think I had an epileptic seizure.

There is a lot of good content on the site, but the pleasure isn't worth
the pain.

basilisk

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Roy A." <[email protected]>
writing in (e-mail address removed):
You should forget about framesets and start learning web 2.0.
Framesets is not working, you can still right click and bookmark any
frames you want. Framesets won't slow down your pages to much and it
will work in most browsers. Web 2.0 is the future, but if you want a
tableless design, framesets is a good alternative.

Oh, paleeze! I'm sooooo tired of buzzwords, especially this one. The
important thing is to use good, clean sematic markup, and separate
presentation and client side scripting.

Framesets are NOT a good alternative to tableless design. A good
alternative is server side includes, or a preprocessor.

Lars Eighner

the lovely and said:
There is a lot of good content on the site, but the pleasure isn't worth
the pain.

Once again, Lynx (with zgv and mplayer) rulez! There's one JS navigation
form that is easily circumvented, and otherwise it is smooth sailing with
Lynx.

Lars Eighner

the lovely and talented said:
Lars Eighner wrote:
I can turn off various things in my browser but, normally, I choose not
to because virtually all such stuff that I encounter on the Web is
benign. This one example of atrocious design and visual effrontery is
hardly a valid call to abandon modern browsing technology nor modern
design techniques. You like to live in a text world? Great!

Yes. There is not even one GUI font that is as legible as vga fonts (for
a similar number of characters on a screen. And of course, I can view
images and movies and hear audio if I choose.
I support you. But I must, in the next breath, dismiss you as totally out
of touch with reality.
Lynx may be your cup of tea but it is not for the vast majority of
people. Nor will it ever be except for those so embedded spiritually,
intellectually and technologically into the past that they'll never
climb out of the hole.

Perhaps one day there will be GUIs with legible fonts, without lame
desktop metaphors, point-and-grunt interface, etc. Sure, it's great if you
want to do exactly the same things everyone else is doing in exactly the
same way everyone else is doing them.
The point of this exercise was to lampoon someone who whose site is a
holdover emblematic of past ignorance and excesses. Yes, there are
modern versions. So what? Skip over them. Or get in tune with the joke.
I'm over my epileptic fit, never to see that page again. Well. Unless
I want a really good laugh.
In the meantime, enjoy Lynx and other Luddite-like pursuits.

Cave walls: the original GUIs. Literacy was the advance. Going back to
pointing at little pictures is retro to the max.

dorayme

[QUOTE="Ed Mullen said:

I trust you are more relaxed now that you have that off your chest, Ed!
Lars thinks Lynx rules presumably because he can flee from so much
unpleasant reality. I sort of admire this. Are you quite sure you don't?
I mean, secretly! Is there nothing of the monk in you?

Monk? Monk? Hardly! Umm, aren't they, like, celibate?[/QUOTE]

er... I was thinking more towards what might be relevant right at the
top of the human body... <g>

Jonathan N. Little

Imda14u said:
Roy A. schreef:

So Roy, what introduction to web 2.0 do you recommend?

Forget the buzz word Web2.0 What you want to learn is how to do includes
where the parts of your page is assembled on the server, Google is your
friend here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+to+include+one+web+page+into+another&spell=1
how to include one web page into another - Google Search

Either with PHP, ASP, CGI, SSI depends on your your hosting has... Most
*nix servers have Apache and PHP is available which is probably one of
the easiest was to do includes

<?php
include_once{'my-header.php');
include_once{'my-menu.php');