    Sure would appreciate some help with this.

    Thanks,
    Don

    Don, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Don

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, Don
    <> wrote:

    > I'm using" wwwboard" and am starting to get porn postings from outside the
    > closed group that uses it. I'm not that familar with Perl, do most of my
    > work using JS and PHP. So, was wondering what code to add to check for a
    > login username and password that exist on the client's machine as cookies.
    > In PHP I'd pick them up using "$_COOKIE['<cookie name>']. How do I do it in
    > Perl? Can you give me some sample code for checking them? I guess the code
    > would be added somewhere in the "wwwboard.pl"l file?
    >
    > Sure would appreciate some help with this.

    What version of wwwboard are you using? If you are using the one from
    Matt's Script Archive, you should know that those scripts are
    notoriously insecure. There are drop-in replacements at
    http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

    The NMS version of wwwboard uses the perl CGI module, so you can set
    cookies with the -cookie option to the header() function and retrieve
    them with the cookie() function. See the length 'perldoc CGI' for more
    info.

    FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
    for general Perl questions and comp.lang.perl.modules for help with
    Perl modules like CGI.

    Jim Gibson, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:27:02 -0700, Jim Gibson <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Don
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using" wwwboard" and am starting to get porn postings from outside the
    >> closed group that uses it. I'm not that familar with Perl, do most of my
    >> work using JS and PHP. So, was wondering what code to add to check for a
    >> login username and password that exist on the client's machine as cookies.
    >> In PHP I'd pick them up using "$_COOKIE['<cookie name>']. How do I do it in
    >> Perl? Can you give me some sample code for checking them? I guess the code
    >> would be added somewhere in the "wwwboard.pl"l file?
    >>
    >> Sure would appreciate some help with this.

    >What version of wwwboard are you using? If you are using the one from
    >Matt's Script Archive, you should know that those scripts are
    >notoriously insecure. There are drop-in replacements at
    >http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >The NMS version of wwwboard uses the perl CGI module, so you can set
    >cookies with the -cookie option to the header() function and retrieve
    >them with the cookie() function. See the length 'perldoc CGI' for more
    >info.
    >
    >FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
    >for general Perl questions and comp.lang.perl.modules for help with
    >Perl modules like CGI.

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    Thanks for your reply Jim. I'm using the NMS version, but am getting daily
    porn posts. Figured if I check to see if there is a username/password login
    (which I have in client's cookies) I could put a stop to this. Say, where
    do I find the 'perldoc CGI' you mentioned? I was hoping to implement a
    quick fix. Looks like I'm going to have to do some homework. That's ok,
    about time I learned a little about Perl.

    Thanks,
    Don

    Don, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:57:45 -0700, Don <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:27:02 -0700, Jim Gibson <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Don
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using" wwwboard" and am starting to get porn postings from outside the
    >>> closed group that uses it. I'm not that familar with Perl, do most of my
    >>> work using JS and PHP. So, was wondering what code to add to check for a
    >>> login username and password that exist on the client's machine as cookies.
    >>> In PHP I'd pick them up using "$_COOKIE['<cookie name>']. How do I do it in
    >>> Perl? Can you give me some sample code for checking them? I guess the code
    >>> would be added somewhere in the "wwwboard.pl"l file?
    >>>
    >>> Sure would appreciate some help with this.

    >>What version of wwwboard are you using? If you are using the one from
    >>Matt's Script Archive, you should know that those scripts are
    >>notoriously insecure. There are drop-in replacements at
    >>http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >>The NMS version of wwwboard uses the perl CGI module, so you can set
    >>cookies with the -cookie option to the header() function and retrieve
    >>them with the cookie() function. See the length 'perldoc CGI' for more
    >>info.
    >>
    >>FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
    >>for general Perl questions and comp.lang.perl.modules for help with
    >>Perl modules like CGI.

    >>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    >Thanks for your reply Jim. I'm using the NMS version, but am getting daily
    >porn posts. Figured if I check to see if there is a username/password login
    >(which I have in client's cookies) I could put a stop to this. Say, where
    >do I find the 'perldoc CGI' you mentioned? I was hoping to implement a
    >quick fix. Looks like I'm going to have to do some homework. That's ok,
    >about time I learned a little about Perl.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Don

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    Oh, and thanks for the heads-up on the other newsgroups.
    Don

    Don, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Don

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, Don
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:27:02 -0700, Jim Gibson <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, Don
    > ><> wrote:
    > >

    > Say, where
    > do I find the 'perldoc CGI' you mentioned?

    perldoc is a command-line utility available in most Perl distributions.
    If that doesn't work, try 'man CGI'. If that doesn't work, look for
    some HTML files somewhere, depending upon your platform and Perl
    distribution.

    Now, please stop posting in this newsgroup before the usenet nazi's get
    us in trouble. :)

    Jim Gibson, Apr 22, 2005