How to login to a site using cookie? (not applet)

anthony.mak

Problem:
-Want to programmatically (a java program) login to a site, and
retrieve the next page.
-Site uses https and POST method.
-Site uses .aspx

Can anyone point me to some tutorials or codes that does this please?
I cannot find any coherent info, different sites say different things
and
I cannot get it work...

Please email to anthony.mak-AT-iname.com

Anthony

anthony.mak

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/authenticator.html

You simply write code to provide id/password and Java magically does
the rest.

Thanks Roedy.

What about Cookie? Firefox stores this cookie called "stn"
after I logged in, but if I delete this cookie and refresh,
I will be kicked back to the front login screen. So I think
it is the session id cookie. Don't I need to send back
a session id every time I POST?

Also, how does the Autheticator knows what are the <input>
names for the username and password? Shouldn't they be specified
somehow? (for this site, they are "LoginName" and "Password")

Below is my attempt using the Autheticator, but instead of
next_page being the string of the next page after a successful login,
it returned the front page of the site. So the method is not
successful. Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Many thanks!

Anthony

My Code
========
import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class Test2 {

private String login_url_str = "https://www.comsec.com.au/
Default.aspx";

public Test2() {

Test2 test1 = new Test2();
test1.execute();
}

private void execute() {
//Setup for https
java.security.Security.addProvider(new
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.
Provider());
System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
"com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");

Authenticator.setDefault( new MyAuthenticator() );

try {
URL url = new URL(login_url_str);
//For handling POST request
String next_page = getURLPostString(url,"");
System.out.println(next_page);

} catch (IOException ex) {
System.out.println(ex);
System.exit(1);

/** Post a string to an URL and get the reply as a string. Returns
an empty
string if things didn't work out. */
//code from: http://martin.nobilitas.com/java/cookies.html
private String getURLPostString(URL url, String body) {
StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();

// find the newline character(s) on the current system
String newline = null;
try {
newline = System.getProperty("line.separator");
} catch (Exception e) {
newline = "\n";
}

try {
// URL must use the http protocol!
HttpURLConnection conn = (HttpURLConnection)
url.openConnection();

conn.setRequestMethod("POST");
conn.setAllowUserInteraction(false); // you may not ask
the user
conn.setDoOutput(true); // we want to send things
// the Content-type should be default, but we set it
anyway
conn.setRequestProperty("Content-type",
"application/x-www-form-
urlencoded");
// the content-length should not be necessary, but we're
cautious
conn.setRequestProperty("Content-length",
Integer.toString(body.length()));

// get the output stream to POST our form data
OutputStream rawOutStream = conn.getOutputStream();
PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(rawOutStream);

pw.print(body); // here we "send" our body!
pw.flush();
pw.close();

// get the input stream for reading the reply
// IMPORTANT! Your body will not get transmitted if you
get the
// InputStream before completely writing out your output
first!
InputStream rawInStream = conn.getInputStream();

// get response
BufferedReader rdr = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(
rawInStream));
String line;

while ((line = rdr.readLine()) != null) {
sb.append(line);
sb.append(newline);
}
return sb.toString();
} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println("Exception " + e.toString());
e.printStackTrace();
}
return ""; // an exception occurred

class MyAuthenticator extends Authenticator
{
/**
* Called when password authorization is needed.
* @return The PasswordAuthentication collected from the
* user, or null if none is provided.
*/
protected PasswordAuthentication getPasswordAuthentication()
{
return new PasswordAuthentication ( "usernameblah",
"passwordblah".toCharArray() );

anthony.mak

Seehttp://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP

How is this relate to the Authenticator you mentioned?
If I use the Authenticator, do I need to use your "HTTP GET/POST"
library?

Anthony

anthony.mak

Seehttp://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP

How is this relate to the Authenticator you mentioned?
If I use the Authenticator, do I need to use your "HTTP GET/POST"
library?

Anthony

anthony.mak

Oh.. *Bastard* Bank! You should have said..

What is the problem with logging into bank?
I am trying to write a program for my friend, who
is going to do phd research in economic, that gathers
stock data for analysis. Is it that much more difficult
to log into a bank programmatically than let's say Amazon?

Anthony Mak

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Problem:
-Want to programmatically (a java program) login to a site, and
retrieve the next page.
-Site uses https and POST method.
-Site uses .aspx

Can anyone point me to some tutorials or codes that does this please?
I cannot find any coherent info, different sites say different things
and
I cannot get it work...

Use:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/

It takes care of all the details of session state.

Arne

Roedy Green

How is this relate to the Authenticator you mentioned?
If I use the Authenticator, do I need to use your "HTTP GET/POST"
library?

Please read http://mindprod.com/jgloss/authentication.html where I
explain this at length.

Authenticator is a Sun class. It is most peculiar the way it works.
You must register an Authenticator implementation, then forget about
authentication. It magically kicks in and does its thing as needed to
log you into a server. You just write you code ignoring logons. You
need some sort of code like mine to do the interactions with the
server http://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP but you could use
anything.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy said:
The catch is it is about 3 MB. ...

Not necessarily. I am not familiar with the licence of
the HTTPClient, but it is technically possible to rejar
an API so that it only includes the classes immediately
required. I am betting that will be a lot less than 3 meg.
...You would not want to download that on
every Applet. ...

The OP stated (in the subject) 'not applet'.
...You would want to pre-install it in an EXT directory or
use Java Web Start so it will be cached.

..in fact, one might rejar a web start component
(as HTTPClient might be deployed) ..break it up
into one jar per package, and deploy them as 'lazy'
downloads, to let JWS do a somewhat less optimal,
but much simpler to deploy, option of the launch.

Not that I agree with helping for this end purpose,
short of the OP ever getting back to us on a few
points, but I am just saying..

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/