How to make a colour line separator?

Cogito

The page I am building now has an index column on the left of the page
and a wide contents column on the right. On the right side of the
index column, I would like to have a thin blue line that quickly fade
towards the left going from top to bottom. The idea is that it serves
as visible boundary. Any suggestion on how this can be done or better
still a simple example would be greatly appreciated.

Philip Ronan

Cogito said:
The page I am building now has an index column on the left of the page
and a wide contents column on the right. On the right side of the
index column, I would like to have a thin blue line that quickly fade
towards the left going from top to bottom. The idea is that it serves
as visible boundary. Any suggestion on how this can be done or better
still a simple example would be greatly appreciated.

Use a background image.

e.g.,

DIV#wide_contents_column {
background: #fff url(bluefade.jpg) left repeat-y;

Cogito

Use a background image.

e.g.,

DIV#wide_contents_column {
background: #fff url(bluefade.jpg) left repeat-y;
}

Thanks, but I want the line to be on the right side of the left
column.

Philip Ronan

Cogito said:
Thanks, but I want the line to be on the right side of the left
column.

DIV#narrow_left_column {
background: #fff url(bluefade.jpg) right repeat-y;
}

(How on earth did you end up with a name like "Cogito"?)

Cogito

DIV#narrow_left_column {
background: #fff url(bluefade.jpg) right repeat-y;
}

(How on earth did you end up with a name like "Cogito"?)

I would appreciate if anyone who actually knows how to do it can help
me in a less insulting way and with a few explanatory words.

rf

Cogito said:
I would appreciate if anyone who actually knows how to do it can help
me in a less insulting way and with a few explanatory words.

Hmmm.

I was just about to build a suitable HTML page to go with the background
image I have created, just like Phillip hinted at. I would have published
this page on my personal web site for your edification...

....until I saw this post of yours.

Well, it's all now in the bit bucket kiddo and you will never see what I
spent five whole minutes of my *free* time producing for you.

Welcome to usenet and please change your attitude before returning.

Cheers
Richard.

Jonathan N. Little

Cogito said:
Thanks, but I want the line to be on the right side of the left
column.

Then position it on the right! Put in on the index column then and pad
the right side accordingly!

background-position: top right;
or
background-position: 100% 0%;

DIV#index_column {
width: [whatever you choose];
background: #fff url(bluefade.jpg) repeat-y top right;
padding-right: [whatever you need];
float: left;

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, rf scraped:
Welcome to usenet and please change your attitude before returning.

Hmm, I would probably reply in the same way if someone said 'How on
earth did you end up with a name like "Cogito"?' if it were my real name.

Philip Ronan

Cogito said:
I would appreciate if anyone who actually knows how to do it can help
me in a less insulting way and with a few explanatory words.

If you didn't understand my first reply, then perhaps you could have
explained what you didn't understand about it.

Instead you came across as an ignoramus who couldn't work out how to edit a
CSS rule to change the word "left" into "right".

You're wasting my time.

Philip Ronan

Dylan Parry said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, rf scraped:

Hmm, I would probably reply in the same way if someone said 'How on
earth did you end up with a name like "Cogito"?' if it were my real name.

It's Latin.

It means "I think".

Not a real name.

dorayme

From: Philip Ronan <[email protected]
It's Latin.

It means "I think".

Not a real name.

You can't be sure. What is a real name? Many have "meanings". If I told you
mine, you would roll about the floor, feet kicking, in paroxysms of helpless
laughter...

Anyway, it is irrelevant. The point is that you were insulting an obviously
not very cluey soul who wanted help. You will help this person by God from
now on in penance for your callous sin. You will also offer him 1 sheep, 2
goats and 5 chickens. And you will say 74 Hail Marys. You *will* do this.
Believe me.

dorayme

cosmic foo

Cogito said:
I would appreciate if anyone who actually knows how to do it can help
me in a less insulting way and with a few explanatory words.

ok
throw yourself off a tall building

cosmic foo

rf said:
Hmmm.

I was just about to build a suitable HTML page to go with the background
image I have created, just like Phillip hinted at. I would have published
this page on my personal web site for your edification...

...until I saw this post of yours.

Well, it's all now in the bit bucket kiddo and you will never see what I
spent five whole minutes of my *free* time producing for you.

Welcome to usenet and please change your attitude before returning.

Cheers
Richard.

i bet it was crap anyway

Cogito

Welcome to usenet and please change your attitude before returning.

I've been on the Internet now for 13 years, and for a similar time on
usenet. So, you have no need to welcome me to usent and I will
certainly not change my attitude to suite you.

Cogito

Instead you came across as an ignoramus who couldn't work out how to edit a
CSS rule to change the word "left" into "right".

You're wasting my time.

You are oozing with politeness and charm.
The reason I queried the left and right issue, is that even with
straight HTML I know how to place a graphic as a background to
facilitate a left side margin line. But the same technic does not work
for the right side. OK, so you can do it with CSS. Big deal. I'm not
familiar with it very well.

Before you call me ignoramus you may want to know that I was
programming mainframe computers in a real programming language,
Assembler, and later in several higher-level languages such as COBOL,
PL/I and others well before most of today's Internet users were born.
So don't humble me with an interpreter tag based mark-up language.

I have asked a simple question. I did not offend you or done anything
wrong to you to warrant you're your insults. If you are too busy, then
attend to your business and don't bother to answer.

Cogito

Cogito said:
Thanks, but I want the line to be on the right side of the left
column.

Then position it on the right! Put in on the index column then and pad
the right side accordingly!

background-position: top right;
or
background-position: 100% 0%;

DIV#index_column {
width: [whatever you choose];
background: #fff url(bluefade.jpg) repeat-y top right;
padding-right: [whatever you need];
float: left;
}

These lines of code do not do much in my case (I'm sure I've done
something wrong). My index column consists of a few bullets and links,
all in straight html and no css tags at all. Where exactly do I place
your code? Should I place it within <style> tags and then refer to it
somehow?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Cogito quothed:
Before you call me ignoramus you may want to know that I was
programming mainframe computers in a real programming language,
Assembler, and later in several higher-level languages such as COBOL,
PL/I and others well before most of today's Internet users were born.
So don't humble me with an interpreter tag based mark-up language.

Ahh, that's the trouble. Maybe you're going senile.
I have asked a simple question. I did not offend you or done anything
wrong to you to warrant you're your insults. If you are too busy, then
attend to your business and don't bother to answer.

I didn't think he meant it as an insult but I could be wrong. And don't
feel bad about being old; there was a guy on here a while back named
Duende who gave the term new meaning.

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
I didn't think he meant it as an insult but I could be wrong.

Ah Neredbojias! All sweet innocence, naivety suddenly! Oh no, there was no
veiled insult at all. Oh no! Not at all! Matey, you will never get anything
right till you see LA Confidential and arrange (as I have been urging) to
have that dance with the star...

dorayme