How to make a Java program independent of JRE

pek

Is there a way to create a java application that can run even if there
is no JRE (or JDK) installed on a computer.
Something like a way to create a folder that contains all the required
files the application needs to run.
I want to know if there is a way to create a portable USB stick
application that can run on any computer even if it has or hasn't got a
JRE.

thanks
-pek

IchBin

pek said:
Is there a way to create a java application that can run even if there
is no JRE (or JDK) installed on a computer.
Something like a way to create a folder that contains all the required
files the application needs to run.
I want to know if there is a way to create a portable USB stick
application that can run on any computer even if it has or hasn't got a
JRE.

thanks
-pek

No way I know of..

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Danno

pek said:
Is there a way to create a java application that can run even if there
is no JRE (or JDK) installed on a computer.
Something like a way to create a folder that contains all the required
files the application needs to run.
I want to know if there is a way to create a portable USB stick
application that can run on any computer even if it has or hasn't got a
JRE.

thanks
-pek

You can't put the jre AND your app on a stick?
That's the way limewire, and many other java apps work.

ahjiang

i'm quite curious too..

is it possible to bundle the jre into a folder..then write a bat file
and user just double click and it would call the jre to run the java
pgm?

Indraneel

At work, we used to ship some code in a CD that packed in its own jre.
We provided a perl script that you could run which would look for the
jre in the CD, if everything else failed and run our code.

I dont have the data on how much space it took up, but a quick look
into my jdk 1.5 directory on my windows machine shows that the whole
jdk directory is 118 MB

I would assume that a 128 MB pen drive would see you through in this
case!
Thanks
-Indraneel

Steve W. Jackson

Indraneel said:
At work, we used to ship some code in a CD that packed in its own jre.
We provided a perl script that you could run which would look for the
jre in the CD, if everything else failed and run our code.

I dont have the data on how much space it took up, but a quick look
into my jdk 1.5 directory on my windows machine shows that the whole
jdk directory is 118 MB

I would assume that a 128 MB pen drive would see you through in this
case!
Thanks
-Indraneel

I maintain an application that has long bundled its own JRE when
shipped. Our most recent release bundled 1.4.2_08, and the entire "jre"
directory in our Windows version is a little over 41 MB. Our next
release will use 1.5.x when it comes time to ship it, but I don't yet
know the size.

We make our installers with InstallAnywhere, and they offer "VM packs"
for download that can be bundled with the installer. I looked through a
couple of these some time ago, and they're just the essentials of a JRE.
The same could certainly be done by other means. Sun's license allows
redistribution of a JRE, and dropping one in place like this is an
effective means of ensuring that one is accessible to an application and
won't be affected by any user's decision to uninstall their own or
change versions.

= Steve =