    I want make a desktop game suports LAN connect, but pygame has nothing
    about network.How to let pygame suport LAN connect? have you some
    examples or articles about LAN connect?

    flyaflya, May 7, 2005

  2. flyaflya

    Peter Hansen Guest

    flyaflya wrote:
    > I want make a desktop game suports LAN connect, but pygame has nothing
    > about network.How to let pygame suport LAN connect? have you some
    > examples or articles about LAN connect?

    Pygame wouldn't bother supporting that, since it's already fully
    supported by standard Python, and any number of add-on frameworks.

    Your options include, but aren't limited to:

    - the "socket" module in Python's standard library
    - "asyncore" and friends in the standard library
    - Twisted (this might be beyond your level, but it was *designed* for
    doing online games so it can certainly handle whatever you want to throw
    at it... think of it as something you can grow into)
    - Pyro (this might be the easiest for you to get working, if you already
    know Python and are using it for all software involved)

    Many books and web sites on Python will cover networking issues as well.
    The Python in a Nutshell book certainly talks about it, and I suspect
    the Cookbook has some useful recipes as well.

    Finally, search terms to help you use Google, which could certainly have
    told you much of this if you'd tried, include "sockets", "RPC",
    "distributed systems", "networking", and of course "Python" in
    combination with any of them...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 7, 2005

  3. flyaflya

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "flyaflya" <> wrote in message
    >I want make a desktop game suports LAN connect, but pygame has nothing
    > about network.How to let pygame suport LAN connect? have you some
    > examples or articles about LAN connect?

    The discussions on the pygame mailing list (gatewayed to
    gmane.comp.python.games) include networking with pygame issues. There were
    recent threads about pygame and twisted. See if you can explore the
    archives a bit.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, May 7, 2005