How To Make A News Website !

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lovely Angel, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Lovely Angel

    Lovely Angel Guest

    Dear Friends
    Hope you all doing great

    First, thanks for making life easier for me, by helping me whenever I
    needed you.
    Its been quite sometime that I have worked on websites, designing them,
    programming backend database, for them and others. But till now I havent
    worked on a project which could prepare me for m current project.

    My current project is for an organization which publishes its magazine
    in different languages. Right now they have only three languages but
    they are planning of expansion. And obviously they want to have an
    online version of it too.
    I am working on it right now. And for that I visited several website, of
    magazine and newspapers and newagencies. And tried to figure out how
    they work, analysed what is going on behind. What I find mostly is that
    there is one single template, with all the tables with rows and columns
    designed which never change, and the middle part where the article text
    comes only that changes. And if there is an image associated with it,
    then that images is shown, to all the articles at one pre-defined place.
    After seeing a lot of websites on the related topic, I came up up with
    few queries.

    - Visit this page, http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3343161
    This page have few links within the article, to company profile, to
    definition, to wuotes, etc. I wish to know how the did it.
    To me it was something like a character inserted while the article was
    entered in database, and when that article is asked for, this particular
    character is replaced by link to the defnition page, etc.
    I know I am wrong. So please tell me how can we do that.

    - Mostly all the articles on all the websites are just one plain colour,
    black, grey or whatever it maybe. At most they will have a bold,
    itallics, or underlined words. Now the bold tag comes with <b>___</b>.
    Now if you search for say <b> at the website, search yields no result.
    That means again they have a particular character inserted before and
    after the text which they wan tto bold, which is replaced by the tags
    when presented to visitor.
    I know I am wrong. So please tell me how can we do that.

    - But my wish is to give more colour, design to the website articles.
    This way it looks that every article has been given a due time, not just
    fed up in the database. And I am ready to give that much time. For that
    I thought that I make html pages and include them on user selection to
    the basic template. I can do that, as I have done it in earlier website.
    BUT in that website I was not required to put SEARCH feature. In this
    website I need to put in search feature.
    So please let me know how I can have more design colour, tables,
    bulleted lists, etc and still create search feature.
    And if you get any website which does something like that, please let me
    know.

    I know I am asking too much. But any help in anyway will be thanked for.

    Hope to listen from you all.

    Love
    Lovely

    ______________________________

    P.S. When you read this post on developerdex, few words are hgilighted
    for their definition, that could be wonderful idea, but how let me know

    ______________________________

    Lovely Angel, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Lovely Angel

    J. Baute Guest

    You are asking a lot indeed :)

    I do know of a simple case study of a XML driven news site in the Wrox ASP
    book "Professional Active Server pages 3.0" which has some good ideas imo.
    Perhaps you can search the Wrox site and see if the code samples are still
    online somewhere.

    Anyway, the case studies main ideas where to store all the news articles in
    XML files on the webserver. The XML has a fixed format of course, like a
    title section, author, a short summary of the article (typically what's
    being displayed on the newsites main page), and the content of the article
    itself, and maybe a few links to pictures for the article.
    Parsing the actual HTML content for the site from these XML files is pretty
    straight forward using XSL templates, which makes the whole system very
    flexible and easy to completely restyle the site without having to change
    anything to the actual articles.

    Since the articles are stored as files, you can use the MS Indexing Service
    to catalog and search the articles efficiently, without having to write your
    own search engine, or store all the articles in a database.

    hope this helps,
    J.

    J. Baute, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Lovely Angel

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:19:11 -0700, Lovely Angel
    <> wrote:

    >My current project is for an organization which publishes its magazine
    >in different languages. Right now they have only three languages but
    >they are planning of expansion. And obviously they want to have an
    >online version of it too.

    The publishing industry has a ton of canned programs to do exactly
    what you're trying to duplicate.

    >- Visit this page, http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3343161
    >This page have few links within the article, to company profile, to
    >definition, to wuotes, etc. I wish to know how the did it.

    Did you ask them? It's not ASP, it's PHP. And it's simply
    information pulled from a database.

    >To me it was something like a character inserted while the article was
    >entered in database, and when that article is asked for, this particular
    >character is replaced by link to the defnition page, etc.
    >I know I am wrong. So please tell me how can we do that.

    On the input side more likely. Possibly manually, or with an input
    page that parses the text and adds links for anything found in a
    dictionary database. Or you're simply looking at Smart Tags.

    >- Mostly all the articles on all the websites are just one plain colour,
    >black, grey or whatever it maybe. At most they will have a bold,
    >itallics, or underlined words. Now the bold tag comes with <b>___</b>.
    >Now if you search for say <b> at the website, search yields no result.

    It searches text, not markup langauge.

    >That means again they have a particular character inserted before and
    >after the text which they wan tto bold, which is replaced by the tags
    >when presented to visitor.

    Maybe. Maybe not. Could be:

    strWord = "Test"
    If strWord = "Test" Then
    Response.Write "<b>" & strWord & "</b>"
    Else
    Response.Write strWord
    End If

    >I know I am wrong. So please tell me how can we do that.
    >
    >- But my wish is to give more colour, design to the website articles.

    Templates, and a sense of design. All client side or presentation
    code and irrespective of ASP.

    >This way it looks that every article has been given a due time, not just
    >fed up in the database. And I am ready to give that much time. For that
    >I thought that I make html pages and include them on user selection to
    >the basic template. I can do that, as I have done it in earlier website.
    >BUT in that website I was not required to put SEARCH feature. In this
    >website I need to put in search feature.
    >So please let me know how I can have more design colour, tables,
    >bulleted lists, etc and still create search feature.

    Separate content and presentation. Search Content, not Presentation.

    >And if you get any website which does something like that, please let me
    >know.

    Thousands. Like any publication site.

    >I know I am asking too much. But any help in anyway will be thanked for.

    There's no way anyone can help you with this in a newsgroup. From the
    message you posted, you're in over your head on this project and need
    help. Probably hired help. Or pre-packaged software.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Apr 23, 2004