how to make a perl tk like thing

Uri Guttman

R> How can I design my own graphical tookit like perl tk.
R> Thanks very much in advance.

you have already shown so much in the way of your perl skills, so why
would you ask such a question. the answer is obvious to any decent perl
hacker.

uri

ccc31807

How can I design my own graphical tookit like perl tk.
Thanks very much in advance.

Why would you want to do such a thing? As good a tool as Perl is,
there are some tasks for which other languages are better suited. If
you are wanting to play with graphical user interfaces (assuming that
this is the thrust of your question) you probably are targeting PCs
running Windows, and these days you would probably want to use
something that works with either the JVM or .NET, or if you are really
a masochist, the underlying C system libraries.

I'm certainly not advocating the use of VB or the like, but building a
GUI app with VS is much easier and a lot faster than with Perl, even
if you use C++ and especially the MSIL extensions.

CC.

Uri Guttman

c> Why would you want to do such a thing? As good a tool as Perl is,
c> there are some tasks for which other languages are better suited. If
c> you are wanting to play with graphical user interfaces (assuming that
c> this is the thrust of your question) you probably are targeting PCs
c> running Windows, and these days you would probably want to use
c> something that works with either the JVM or .NET, or if you are really
c> a masochist, the underlying C system libraries.

c> I'm certainly not advocating the use of VB or the like, but building a
c> GUI app with VS is much easier and a lot faster than with Perl, even
c> if you use C++ and especially the MSIL extensions.

you misinterpreted our dear robin's insane request. there are several
major gui libs out there. she wants to write a new one in perl! given
robin's lackluster coding and perl skills, it would be amusing to
watch. i can just see the x11 manuals going up in smoke.

uri

ccc31807

For you perhaps. Some of us *do* have the skill and maturity to write
huge code bases of well-structured code without needing to use a B&D
language that forces us to do so. It isn't Perl's fault if you don't.

Let me clarify. It doesn't take one little bit of skill or maturity to
sit down with Visual Studio, open a new GUI app, drag and drop a few
controls on the canvas, write a little code for each control, package
it up, and deliver it to the user. It only takes a little bit of skill
and maturity to connect the app to a database, say Access or SQL
Server, and deliver graphical front end to a database.

If there's a D&D IDE for Perl, I don't know of it.

I had a good taste of MIS taking a management course in graduate
school. In business and management schools, they don't teach Perl, but
Microsoft products, in particular, Visual Basic, Visual Studio, and
Access. These guys could bash out little VB apps all day long and not
break into a sweat. But I had the last laugh ... they had errors with
embedded commas in their data, and I rode to the rescue with Perl and
a regex that solved the problem. They regarded the regex the same way
that I imagine the Aztecs regarded the Spanish muskets and horses --
as something that worked but was completely unexplainable in human
terms. ;-)

CC.

Uri Guttman

c> Let me clarify. It doesn't take one little bit of skill or maturity to
c> sit down with Visual Studio, open a new GUI app, drag and drop a few
c> controls on the canvas, write a little code for each control, package
c> it up, and deliver it to the user. It only takes a little bit of skill
c> and maturity to connect the app to a database, say Access or SQL
c> Server, and deliver graphical front end to a database.

again, you are way off base. robin wasn't asking about using a gui kit
in perl but how to WRITE one from scratch in perl. very different
animals. so stop this nonsense thread now.

uri

ccc31807

You misspelled "change the subject and ramble endlessly."

Okay, I told a little story. That's not a crime.
Skilled programmers can be just as productive with Perl as with any
other language, if not more so. The fact that unskilled programmers
cannot do so isn't Perl's fault.

I'm beginning to wonder about the reading comprehension of some on
c.l.p.m.

The OP asked a 'how do I' question about a subject that obviously
wasn't a 'how do I' subject.

I wondered why he/she asked the question, especially since the problem
has long since been solved by automated tools, tools that unskilled
and inexperienced people can use to write apps that are JUST AS GOOD
(!) as skilled and experienced programmers can write.

If Perl compiled to MSIL and were accessible via VS, you could do
exactly the same thing in Perl as you could with Visual Basic. The
byte code would be identical. The point is NOT the skill and
experience of the programmer, but the capabilities of the tool.
It's a poor workman that blames his tools.

A tommy behind a Maxim could kill hundreds of Impi warriors, and
neither the inferior fighting qualities of the tommy or the superior
fighting qualities of the Impi mattered in the least.

This isn't blaming the tool. It's blaming the workman for (perhaps)
choosing a poor tool for the job at hand.

CC.