How To Make A Title Tag That Search Engines Will Love

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 88059355, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. 88059355

    88059355 Guest

    Making the following changes to your title tag can help improve
    ranking and increase targeted traffic to your website:

    Include keyword phrases in your title tag:

    Think of a title tag as the name above a shop. Imagine you are walking
    down a busy street with shops on either side of you. However every
    shop window is boarded up and all that is visible is its name. You
    mean to purchase a new Hi-Fi system and need to locate a suitable
    store. You look at all the names but are getting confused as to which
    one is for you. All of a sudden you see a store with 'Hi-Fi and
    Electrical' in its name. You enter and purchase your spanking new Hi-
    Fi system, but it is a bit expensive. And little did you know but the
    store next door also sold Hi-Fi systems but for a lot cheaper. However
    its name did not indicate this. In fact its name sounded more like a
    jewellery shop than an electrical store.

    A search engine is rather like the shopper in the above example. It
    sees the title on each web page and determines whether this would be a
    good result to return based on its text. If you search for 'Hi-Fi' it
    is highly likely that some of the results returned will have 'Hi-Fi'
    in their title.

    To be found using the search engines you should optimize your website
    for a set of keyword phrases. These keyword phrases should be included
    in your title tag. Suppose I was a website selling Hi-Fi systems, then
    I would like my website to appear in search engine results when
    searching with the phrase 'Hi-Fi systems'. If I include 'Hi-Fi
    systems' in my title tag I will increase the chances that the search
    engines will find the page and my ranking will be higher. Of course
    you are not limited to adding only one keyword phrase to your title, I
    would recommend two perhaps three but be careful not to make it too
    long. Also remember make it easy to understand and descriptive for a
    human.

    Order these keyword phrases effectively:

    Placing a keyword phrase at the start of the title tag allows it to be
    seen better by the search engines. Look at the following examples:

    * ABCDEF Electrical - Hi-Fi Systems
    * Hi-Fi Systems - ABCDEF Electrical

    Both of these two examples are acceptable to human eyes but in the
    eyes of the search engines the second is see as more relevant if 'Hi-
    Fi Systems' is searched for because it appears at the start of the
    title. Generally it is best to place company name or the name of
    website to the end of your title tag.

    Make your title enticing to the eye:

    Although this point does not make a lot of difference to the search
    engines it can help to get people to click on your link in search
    results.

    Which is easier on the eye?

    1. XYZ COMPUTER HARDWARE
    2. XYZ CoMpUtEr HaRdWaRe
    3. XYZ Computer Hardware

    I imagine that most people would say that (3) is the most pleasing.
    (1) and (2) are harder to read because of improper captilization. In
    (1) you see that using all capitals detracts the importance of any
    words you actually want to draw attention to and also some search
    engines may penalise this practice. (2) is simply a nightmare to read.

    Try to keep title tags as unique as possible:

    As each page on your site should be unique so should your title tags.
    Not only do unique title tags make the site more descriptive and
    navigable to a person they help search engines answer queries more
    accurately and allow more penetration of your site's pages in their
    databases.

    Common title tags mistakes:

    * Do not leave your title tag blank, ever!

    * Do not use 'Untitled' or default text in your title tag.
    If you are using a web page editing application it may place some
    default text in the title tag. Make sure you always check your title
    to make sure this doesn't happen.

    * Do not write title tags that are not relevant to the content on the
    page.
    Search engines compare text in the title tag against actual textual
    content on your page to rate relevancy. If the two are not related
    this will decrease your ranking. Also it is annoying to a person who
    visits your page when the title tag they saw going into your page does
    not relate to the content on the page. This will ensure that this
    person leaves your site and maybe never comes back.

    * Do not stuff your title tag with repeating keyword phrases.
    This may be looked upon by search engines as spamming and they may
    penalise your ranking.

    Ignoring title tags is definitely a mistake if you aim to achieve high
    rankings. Although it takes a lot more than the title tag to propel
    you to the top of the search engines it can be very effective in
    making a search engine more secure that your site's content is more
    relevant than a competitor's.
    http://cncarrental.cn/html/Internet/20060929/31887.html
    88059355, Jan 8, 2008

  2. 88059355