    Preferably a free service if possible.

    Thanks in advance

    Andrew
    Andrew, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Andrew wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to create a web form where the form is sent to a
    > predetermined fax number rather than to an email address?
    >
    > Preferably a free service if possible.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Andrew

    You can do from that sends SMS-messages by SMS-gateway by PHP.

    I hope this links helps..

    http://www.lowwwe.com/html/faxfr.html

    http://www.lowwwe.com/html/

    And more from google
    http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&q=Send fax by Internet form&btnG=Hae&meta=

    http://www.technologycommunity.com/
    Matti Kiviharju, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Thanks Matti, that looks pretty useful!

    Andrew
    Andrew, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Matti Kiviharju, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Andrew

    Augustus Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to create a web form where the form is sent to a
    > predetermined fax number rather than to an email address?
    >
    > Preferably a free service if possible.

    You can either do this yourself (setting up your own fax server with fax
    modem and appropriate software) or go with a 3rd party solution.

    If you do it yourself its not that hard to do, but you do need to set up the
    software and you'll be paying for the phone line each month (plus any long
    distance) so you have to look at how many faxes you are sending per month
    and can divide the cost per month by that and find out how much the faxing
    will cost you.
    IE: If your phone line is $25/mo and you are sending out 500 faxes a month
    (locally) then you are looking at a cost of 5 cents per fax.

    A few issues in doing this:
    - If the fax modem (or one of the modems) fails then you need to replace it,
    otherwise you aren't faxing
    - If there is alot of long distance faxing then you have to add that cost to
    your phone bill... phone companies usually charge rounded up to the next
    full minute, so if your fax takes 1 minute and 10 seconds, you will be
    billed 2 minutes of long distance calling
    - If you use your own server then you have to maintain it... going out of
    town? then you need some way to make sure its working and reboot if
    necessary
    - You are limited by the number of lines you have... if you are planning on
    doing 500 faxes a day then with 1 phone line you'll end up getting a long
    queue going and it could take 5-7 hours for the 500th fax to go through

    The alternative is to go with a 3rd party solution and have them do the
    faxing for you. This will pretty much alleviate all of the issues above,
    but you usually have to pay. There are a few services out that that will
    fax for free but then they usually:
    - limit how many times a day you can use the service
    - send an ad along with your fax (this can look unprofessional and uses up
    the recipients fax paper)
    - record the fax number(s) you are sending to and add them to their fax
    database (and then sell the phone numbers to other people or use them
    themselves to send faxes to your recipient)
    - free faxes are low priority... your fax could take 5 minutes to be sent...
    or 2 or more days (so if this is a priority that the faxes go out in a
    timely fashion you won't be able to use them becuz they won't guarantee
    anything)

    Going with a faxing service is probably the best solution if you want this
    for a website and/or need to send the faxes out regularly... usually you pay
    $5-10 per month and get a certain number of "free" faxes included in that
    and then pay anywhere from 5 to 25 cents per additional fax after that.
    These are usualyl easy to use as well... you just have your website send an
    email or file attachment to an email address the company gives you and they
    receive and send your fax out (usually in 30-60 seconds and are able to
    handle tens or hundreds of thousands of faxes simultaneously - note: some
    fax services also have an IPN service available and can accept xml for
    templates too)

    Two fax services I can think of are Protus IP (www.protus.com) and Data On
    Call (www.dataoncall.com). For my restaurant online ordering website I use
    Data On Call to handle the faxing and can say they are very reliable and
    able to meet our demands (we use Protus to handle company inbound and
    outbound faxing, not restaurant orders).

    Clint
    Augustus, Jan 14, 2005