How to make a web site you sign in to?

workingstiff19

I see a CGI-AIS-Session module at CPAN.org and I know Twiki uses it.
(Twiki is a site --that you sign in to-- for sharing attachments and
notes. It can be downloaded from twiki.org.) The description of this
module is apparently for those who already know something about it
--not a tutorial for new bees (ahem).

Don't want twiki for this site, I just want to have a sign-on for the
Apache 2.0 HTTP server that came with (Fedora) Linux.

I don't care if the pages are SSL-encrypted or not, as long as a
sign-in is required to access them.

Has anyone ever done this? Been STFW and reading at apache.org (they
have a Java solution called Jetspeed, but I know Perl better than
Java). I take it this is not easy to do for free?

Any info will be appreciated! (Know a good book?)

workingstiff19 at hotmail