How to make an html table out of that ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rolf Kemper, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Rolf Kemper

    Rolf Kemper Guest

    Dear all
    please find below a part of code I have returned by sql server. It
    describes an error condition as usual in two lines. The additional
    text is from the application and should be on top. What I would like
    to achive is a simle table with 3 lines:
    1st the simple text
    2nd MSSSQLError tag 1
    3rd MSSSQLError tag 2

    I tried varous attempts to select the attributes of the MSSQLError
    tags.
    In any case I get never everything. My last trisl was to use the
    copy-of.
    This basically throughs the MSQMLError Tags into the HTML , but only
    the first line is shown by IE (probable it has the problem with the
    second tag <?MSSQLError ....

    ##################### test xml below ###############

    <NewBlock xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-sql">

    <?MSSQLError HResult="0x80040e2f" Source="Microsoft OLE DB Provider
    for SQL Server" Description="The statement has been
    terminated."?><?MSSQLError HResult="0x80040e2f" Source="Microsoft OLE
    DB Provider for SQL Server" Description="INSERT statement conflicted
    with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY constraint
    'FK_BlocksTec_tab_const_ProcessTec_tab'. The conflict occurred in
    database 'libdb', table 'const_ProcessTec_tab', column
    'ProcessTec_ID'."?>COULD NOT INSERT Block

    </NewBlock>

    ################# xml end ##########################

    any help is highly welcome

    Rolf

    So some help is highly welcome.

    Rolf Kemper, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Rolf Kemper

    Joris Gillis Guest

    > please find below a part of code I have returned by sql server. It
    > describes an error condition as usual in two lines. The additional
    > text is from the application and should be on top. What I would like
    > to achive is a simle table with 3 lines:
    > 1st the simple text
    > 2nd MSSSQLError tag 1
    > 3rd MSSSQLError tag 2
    >
    > I tried varous attempts to select the attributes of the MSSQLError
    > tags.
    > In any case I get never everything. My last trisl was to use the
    > copy-of.
    > This basically throughs the MSQMLError Tags into the HTML , but only
    > the first line is shown by IE (probable it has the problem with the
    > second tag <?MSSQLError ....

    Hi,

    AFIAk, you cannot access the 'attributes' of a processing instruction, because it cannot have any. A processing instruction consists of a name and a string value.
    Wouldn't it be easier to use regular elements in stead of PIs?

    regards,

    Ceterum censeo XML omnibus esse utendum

    Joris Gillis, Dec 5, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Joris Gillis <> wrote:

    >AFIAk, you cannot access the 'attributes' of a processing instruction,
    >because it cannot have any.

    This is true at the XML level. But applications often use attribute
    syntax in the string value of a processing instruction (consider
    stylesheet PIs for example, or the not-technically-a-PI XML
    declaration). Whether any APIs provide support for parsing them, I
    don't know.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Rolf Kemper

    Joris Gillis Guest

    >> AFIAk, you cannot access the 'attributes' of a processing instruction,
    >> because it cannot have any.

    > This is true at the XML level. But applications often use attribute
    > syntax in the string value of a processing instruction (consider
    > stylesheet PIs for example, or the not-technically-a-PI XML
    > declaration). Whether any APIs provide support for parsing them, I
    > don't know.

    Yes, you're right indeed.
    I was silently assuming that Rolf is dealing with an XLST. When he tells about an attempt with 'copy-of' I thought that would be an xsl element. In XSLT you're bound to stay at the DOM Level. So you cannot access PI attributes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

    Joris Gillis, Dec 5, 2004