how to make an "irregular" asp table?

keithb

It looks like the span tag cannot be used with asp tables. What is the best
way to make an irregular asp table?

Thanks,

Keith

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

What is an irregular table? And what do you mean a span tag can't be used
with an asp table? What is an asp table? Can you give us a full
description of what you're trying to do?

Ray at home

Bob Barrows [MVP]

keithb said:
It looks like the span tag cannot be used with asp tables. What is
the best way to make an irregular asp table?

There is no such thing as an "asp" table. ASP can be used to generate the
html that causes a browser to render a table. So my suggestion to you is to
learn how to write the html that creates the table you want. There are many
sites out there that have html tutorials, as well as many books on the
subject, so there's your starting point.

keithb

I'm just learning ASP.NET 2.0, so some of my terminology may be wrong. The
Standard toolbox in VS2K5 has a control called Table. Placing the control
on a web page results in a control that has an <asp:Table> tag. this tag
contains <asp:TableRow> and <asp:TableCell> tags. The <asp:TableCell> tag
lacks a COLSPAN propery. With standard HTML tables I use the COLSPAN
attribute to make the columns in a row span more than one table column. What
I am trying to ask then, is: using <asp:table>, how can I make the columns
in an <asp:TableRow> span across more than one column? If what I want to
accomplish is still unclear, perhaps I could send an image showing a table
with the first row going all the way across, and the subsequent rows having
mutiple columns. Anyway, I appreciate the help available on this newsgroup
and apologize for asking questions for which the answer is obvious to
everyone except me.

Thanks,

Keith

Bob Barrows [MVP]

keithb said:
I'm just learning ASP.NET 2.0,

Ah! So you're asking the question in the wrong place. here is my canned
reply:

so some of my terminology may be
wrong. The Standard toolbox in VS2K5 has a control called Table.
Placing the control on a web page results in a control that has an
<asp:Table> tag. this tag contains <asp:TableRow> and <asp:TableCell>
tags. The <asp:TableCell> tag lacks a COLSPAN propery.

I've little hands-on experience with 2.0 as yet, but I suspect this means
you will not be able to use the Table control for this task.
However, you may be able to override the prerender events for the table rows
and write your own output. Check in the aspnet group to see if this is
possible.

HTH,
Bob Barrows