how to make background audio play in email?

Animesh Kumar

kchayka said:
Is there some reason you think that blind people don't already use
assistive technology that reads their email out loud, using settings
that they prefer (like what voice to use, speed, etc.)? What about those
that use a braille device instead?

It's just plain rude to automatically play a sound file. Period.

Automatic play is stupid. I agree! But there can be one option to
"recite" the text email. Or even send a "voice email" as bandwidth is
rising.

Look at one more thread where I cite example of someone who does not
likes reading over monitor.

Best

dorayme

From: kchayka said:
It's just plain rude to automatically play a sound file. Period.
I agree it can be rude. But the idea of it being plain rude suggests that
there is nothing much else going for it. This might not be the case. Just
sometimes one has to admit that some rude things have style, class and even
so much so that the upfront rudeness is part of it. Personally, I like rude
where I am forced, after an initial irritation, to laugh or be otherwise
impressed. I would be alarmed and annoyed if a clown burst through my open
front door and did a funny. It would be very rude. But if the act was good
and he pissed off quickly afterwards, I would forgive him.

Bottom line, not "Period". But it better be good and appeal to a fair few
people.

dorayme

("pissed off" is an Australian expression to mean "go", "leave the scene")

kchayka

Animesh said:
Look at one more thread where I cite example of someone who does not
likes reading over monitor.

If your mother doesn't like reading on screen, she should get a screen
reader. There is no reason to punish everyone else because she doesn't
have one.

Animesh Kumar

kchayka said:
If your mother doesn't like reading on screen, she should get a screen
reader. There is no reason to punish everyone else because she doesn't
have one.

You got me wrong. How about an email reader where you can configure if
you want to "hear" and not "read" an email? I am sure MS OUtlook isn't
that user-friendly, but still! This feature sounds quite useful in
certain cases.

Best

Toby Inkster

Animesh said:
Oh well, it can be argued this way. But if my email program can play
(pronounce) the email, I dont need the extra assistance software. It
could be used for non-blind situations too; for instance, my mother does
not likes reading things on the monitor.

My dad likes all his e-mail to be sung by John Cleese to the tune of
"Henery the Eighth".

I prefer Drew Barrymore to read my e-mails to me in a little video display
on the corner of my screen. Naked of course.

Could you please include these options in your e-mail too?

So far, we have:

* Normal reading aloud
* Naked Drew Barrymore
* Singing John Cleese

Any other options needed?

Els

Toby said:
Could you please include these options in your e-mail too?

So far, we have:

* Normal reading aloud
* Naked Drew Barrymore
* Singing John Cleese

Any other options needed?

I'd like every email to be read in the voice of the writer...

Animesh Kumar

Toby said:
Animesh Kumar wrote:

My dad likes all his e-mail to be sung by John Cleese to the tune of
"Henery the Eighth".

I prefer Drew Barrymore to read my e-mails to me in a little video display
on the corner of my screen. Naked of course.

Could you please include these options in your e-mail too?

So far, we have:

* Normal reading aloud
* Naked Drew Barrymore
* Singing John Cleese

Any other options needed?

Provided you can customize your email client. I don't think this is
impossible --- there may be copyright issues with John Cleese and such
commercial singers though.

Best

Toby Inkster

Animesh said:
Provided you can customize your email client. I don't think this is
impossible --- there may be copyright issues with John Cleese and such
commercial singers though.

My point exactly -- such features should be done by each user customising
their own e-mail client -- not by you enforcing noises on your recipients.

Andy Dingley

I'd like every email to be read in the voice of the writer...

But what if Toby only ever gets email from Drew Barrymore
and John Cleese ?

And Miriam Abacha of course. But then we all get email from her. I don't
know where she finds the time.

Els

Andy said:
But what if Toby only ever gets email from Drew Barrymore
and John Cleese ?

Then it's about time he got himself some more friends :)
And Miriam Abacha of course. But then we all get email from her. I don't
know where she finds the time.

I feel left out now... Miriam who?

Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
i'm on the other end of this

how does one DISABLE someone else's annoying sound from playing? i deal with a client who sends me emails with sound and i hate it. in fact, i hate it whenever anyone forces me to listen to their idea of meditative instrumentals, including websites.

i use outlook 2002

Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way!
You look in the mirror each morning,
Think "I look so much better each day!
What arrogant self-absorption! I am amazed at the terrible intellect displayed by so many in this thread.

For the blind, autoplay audio email is a Godsend!

But, of course, that means someone who really uses technology for good would be fouling up your playpen where what you think is correct is the only way, right?