how to make link open in new tab...?

alice

I know there is a tag from telling a link to open in a new window, but
is there a way to make a link open in a new tab (for IE7 and other
tabbed browsers?).

Ed Mullen

I know there is a tag from telling a link to open in a new window, but
is there a way to make a link open in a new tab (for IE7 and other
tabbed browsers?).

No. And if there were there would also be a feature in the browser (or
via an extension) to allow the user to prevent it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Seedhouse

I know there is a tag from telling a link to open in a new window

No there isn't. There's an attribute of the <a> tag that will allow
this but an attribute isn't a tag. Furthermore it's a bad practice and
it has been depreciated in the latest versions of html and xhtml. You
can however still do it with javascript. But you shouldn't.
but
is there a way to make a link open in a new tab (for IE7 and other
tabbed browsers?).

This is under the control of the user, who can set his browser to do
that. It isn't under the web page's control.

alice

Ed said:
No there isn't. There's an attribute of the <a> tag that will allow
this but an attribute isn't a tag. Furthermore it's a bad practice and
it has been depreciated in the latest versions of html and xhtml. You
can however still do it with javascript. But you shouldn't.

Why is this considered bad practice?