    don't know how to change the makefile so that it will work for visual
    c++. Can anyone help me out?

    , Jun 2, 2005

  2. Tim Prince Guest

    wrote:

    > I used to code in unix. Now I need to run them in Visual C++. But I
    > don't know how to change the makefile so that it will work for visual
    > c++. Can anyone help me out?

    Use gnu make, fix up your .SUFFIXES and macros to correspond with VC++.
    Some people even go so far as to put in a
    mv $*.obj $*.o
    step to avoid translating dependencies.
    --
    Tim Prince

    Tim Prince, Jun 2, 2005

    Thanks for your reply. I have never used gnu make before. Is there any
    step by step instruction for a newbie like me?

    , Jun 2, 2005
  4. Tim Prince Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply. I have never used gnu make before. Is there any
    > step by step instruction for a newbie like me?

    gnu make should pose no big surprises if you used make on Unix.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html I suppose the most
    popular one for Windows is included in cygwin
    http://sourceware.redhat.com/cygwin/
    Evidently, the defaults are set up Unix style, so you must over-ride.
    --
    Tim Prince

    Tim Prince, Jun 2, 2005

    I'll go for gmake. Thanks a lot.