how to make portable distribution of python 2.6?

Thomas Jollans

All greetings!

How to make portable distribution of python 2.6?
I don't know, but what you're looking for probably already exists.

Do you mean "portable" as in portable, i.e. "take this and build it for
your system, it should work if your OS is supported"? Then you can get
source tarballs from python.org

http://python.org/download/

Or do you understand "portable" the way that is fashionable in the
Windows world nowadays for some reason, i.e. "look, Ma, already
installed if you happen to use Microsoft Windows of roughly the right
version!"

Then http://www.portablepython.com/ is exactly where Google would have
lead you had you searched.

zaur

On 2010-08-13 19:00, zaur wrote:> All greetings!

I don't know, but what you're looking for probably already exists.

Do you mean "portable" as in portable, i.e. "take this and build it for
your system, it should work if your OS is supported"? Then you can get
source tarballs from python.org

http://python.org/download/

Or do you understand "portable" the way that is fashionable in the
Windows world nowadays for some reason, i.e. "look, Ma, already
installed if you happen to use Microsoft Windows of roughly the right
version!"

Thenhttp://www.portablepython.com/is exactly where Google would have
lead you had you searched.

I want to realize howto build my own portable python in order to use
them without installation.
I want also to be able install modules (numpy, matplotlib, pyqt,
etc...) when it is necessary.
This very usefull for teaching python in computer classes.

Perica Zivkovic

Hi there,

numpy, matplotlib are already parts of Portable Python, PyQt is coming
in one of the next versions. Creating it is not so difficult, it is
basically repackaging of the python core and the required modules.
Tricky part is keeping it portable as big part of libs is storing
their configuration settings all over the place or require python env.
variables.

Drop me an email an maybe I can help you by including modules you need
in next release of Portable Python. I'm already helping several
universities, maybe we can work together to create one distribution
which targets computer classes (together with tutorials,
documentation, how-to guides etc.)

keep pythoning !

Perica Zivkovic