How to make python scripts .py executable, not bring up editor

korean_dave

From command Prompt, i type in a script, "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

norseman

korean_dave said:
This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?
======================================
I get tired of Microsoft jerking me around too. Rather than spend hours
trying to undo somebody's reorganizing my system preferences I just
ignore them completely.

py tryme is how I do it.

py.bat is a file placed in a directory listed in PATH in autoexec.bat.
Edit autoexec.bat to include directory you put it in and reboot system
or it won't find it. something like: PATH=.;c:\py-stuff;[anything
already listed] Don't forget the semicolons.

The . (period) up front means look here first. here being where ever you
are when you issued the command. (The pRESENT wORKING dIRECTORY :) The
c:\py-stuff (fix to suit yourself and make sure it exists) is where you
can put your efforts to be called at your leisure. Your .py files you
write and use. Even the py.bat can go there.

(Short note: Microsoft usually does look in pwd first. But good form
dictates being specific.)

contents of py.bat:
========================
rem name: py.bat
@echo off
c:\Python24\python %f.py make it fit your path
rem end of file
========================

This way - you get what you expect, when you expect it, & nothing else.
Yeah - dumb, but it works! I have one similar for each of my compilers.
They contain the whole command line switches stuff as well as things
like remove old stuff before trying to over write with new since MS can
be temperamental about that.

Easiest way in the world to give it the finger and make it behave.

Steve
(e-mail address removed)

Grumman

korean_dave said:
From command Prompt, i type in a script, "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

Start-><right click>My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables

in bottom pane "System Variables" add ";.py" to "PATHEXT"

Paul McGuire

From command Prompt, i type in a script,  "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

type:

python tryme.py

or:

C:\Python24\python tryme.py

-- Paul

Iain King

From command Prompt, i type in a script,  "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

find a .py file in windows explorer. Right click it->Open With-
Choose Program...
Now find your python.exe file (should be in c:\python24), select it,
and tick the box that says "Always use the selected program"

Iain

Mike Driscoll

From command Prompt, i type in a script,  "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

You need to add python.exe to your system's path. In Windows XP, you
need right-click "My Computer", choose Properties, and then the
Advanced tab. Click the Environment Variables button. Then go to the
System Variables section and double-click the Path entry (you may have
to scroll down to get to it).

Notice that everything in this list is separated by semi-colons. You
should be at the end of the list, so just put a semi-colon at the end
and then type C:\Python24

Then it should work. You'll probably need to restart your command line
window though, as it doesn't always take affect on open windows.

HTH

norseman

OK- ;
In Windows use the Window Explorer and go find a something.py.
Right click on it and select Open With then Browse and go find your
Python24\python.exe and select it. Then check the box that says "Always
use this for..." and test it by closing/re-opening WinExplorer and left
clicking (or double clicking if so set) and it should attempt to run.
IF so then use the 'dos window' and try typing in just it's name.
ie... tryme.py this should attempt to run also. If not, check the
C:\autoexec.bat PATH line. It just might be that it has the unwanted
Python editor's path there. If so, consider putting your python24 path
BEFORE it. (Don't forget to re-boot after mods to autoexec.bat) If that
isn't the problem you might consider a complete scrub, reformat and
re-install of Windows and ALL your stuff. (Uggg!)

Don't be surprised if at some point it may "reset itself" back to it's
current bad behavior. The Python editor shouldn't unless it is
re-installed for some reason.

The use of the bat file ignores any 'self reset' nonsense by forcing the
desired action(s) by keeping Windows from wandering about. During the
development cycle a modified copy in the working directory can delete
program created files before (re)running script. This keeps Microsoft
from yelling it can't function because something is in it's way. And
hardcoding the file under development, along with any needed tokens,
simplifies the command line and the cycle.
( del any files created in this loop (one line each)
( drive:\path_to\python pgm.py token tokens.....
( don't remember if pause or whatever - but give time to inspect screen
( preferred_editor pgm.py

if in t.bat then t<cr> tests it and returns you to edit.
Saves lots of typos, lowers anxiety, speeds up cycle, increases
confidence in progress.

NOTE: I use Linux and I do have a typo in my original reply.
USE %1 NOT %f in the .bat file. Sorry
^numeric one

Steve
(e-mail address removed)

David said:
When my anyname.py runs, instead of executing the script, it opens up
the file within the Pythonwin text editor.
korean_dave said:
From command Prompt, i type in a script, "tryme.py".
[...]

Chris Hulan

From command Prompt, i type in a script, "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

sounds like you need to adjust the file association so .py files are
associated with python.exe

Matimus

From command Prompt, i type in a script,  "tryme.py".

This, instead, brings up PythonWin editor and Interactive Window.

Path variable is "C:\Python24". (I need Python 2.4 installed, not 2.5)

How do I make it so that the script runs?

You can do this by editing the registry, but here is the general way
to click through chaning file associations:

Right click on any python file (*.py) and choose "Open With" from the
context menu and select "Choose Program..." . From there select
"Python" if it appears, or click "Browse" and browse to "C:
\Python25\python.exe", or the appropriate location if you have it
installed somewhere else.

Make sure to check the box next to "Always use the selected program to
open this kind of file."

Click "Ok".

Matt