    representation of thirds and two thirds).

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 7, 2007

  2. dorayme

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
    > decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
    > of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
    > recurring decimal point is needed.
    >
    > (you know... the dot on top of the 3 or 6 for the decimal
    > representation of thirds and two thirds).

    Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you can also
    put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinculum_(symbol)

    You could do this in css:

    .recurring {
    border-top: 1px solid black;
    }
    Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>

    Not ideal I know (what about people without css, using non-visual browsers
    etc), but if you can't find another way you might want to consider it
    Nik Coughlin, Aug 7, 2007

  3. dorayme

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
    >> decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
    >> of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
    >> recurring decimal point is needed.
    >>
    >> (you know... the dot on top of the 3 or 6 for the decimal
    >> representation of thirds and two thirds).

    > Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you
    > can also put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinculum_(symbol)
    >
    > You could do this in css:

    > .recurring {
    > border-top: 1px solid black;
    > }
    > Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>
    >
    > Not ideal I know (what about people without css, using non-visual
    > browsers etc), but if you can't find another way you might want to
    > consider it

    Ummm text-decoration: overline would be smarter now that I think of it :p
    Nik Coughlin, Aug 7, 2007
  4. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote: news:f98si6$co1$:

    [snip]
    > .recurring {
    > border-top: 1px solid black;
    > }
    > Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>

    [snip]

    Perhaps text-decoration: overline; may be a better choice.

    --
    BootNic Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:45 AM

    War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
    *Ancient Chinese Proverbs*
    BootNic, Aug 7, 2007
  5. dorayme

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    BootNic wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote: news:f98si6$co1$:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> .recurring {
    >> border-top: 1px solid black;
    >> }
    >> Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>

    > [snip]
    >
    > Perhaps text-decoration: overline; may be a better choice.

    I beat you to it, already corrected myself :)

    Another notation sometimes used is 0.(6)
    Nik Coughlin, Aug 7, 2007
  6. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote: news:f98ti0$eus$:

    > I beat you to it, already corrected myself :)
    >
    > Another notation sometimes used is 0.(6)

    I am told these things happen now and again.

    --
    BootNic Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:52 AM

    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. An
    efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty.
    *Eugene McCarthy *
    BootNic, Aug 7, 2007
  7. dorayme

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    BootNic wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote: news:f98ti0$eus$:
    >
    >> I beat you to it, already corrected myself :)
    >>
    >> Another notation sometimes used is 0.(6)

    > I am told these things happen now and again.

    Done it myself plenty of times
    Nik Coughlin, Aug 7, 2007
  8. dorayme

    I V Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:55:28 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
    > decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
    > of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
    > recurring decimal point is needed.

    U+0307 is the code point for "Combining dot above."

    On my computer, though, it looks kind of ugly used with figures, as the
    dot in the font appears to be placed to go above small letters, and
    collides with the tops of (lining) figures or capital letters.
    I V, Aug 7, 2007
  9. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:13:24 GMT
    I V scribed:

    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:55:28 +1000, dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
    >> decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
    >> of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
    >> recurring decimal point is needed.

    > U+0307 is the code point for "Combining dot above."
    >
    > On my computer, though, it looks kind of ugly used with figures, as the
    > dot in the font appears to be placed to go above small letters, and
    > collides with the tops of (lining) figures or capital letters.

    Is that x-face really you or did you copp one of Duende's Roaring-20's
    pics?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 7, 2007
  10. dorayme

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 7 Aug, 05:30, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you can also
    > put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits

    How about Ruby (the HTML markup, not the thing on Rails)? Fallback to
    ellipsis should work, even if the browser doesn't grok ruby.
    Andy Dingley, Aug 7, 2007
  11. Scripsit I V:

    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:55:28 +1000, dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
    >> decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
    >> of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
    >> recurring decimal point is needed.

    > U+0307 is the code point for "Combining dot above."

    The notation referred to uses a "vinculum", a line over a digit. Thus, this
    would be a job for combining macron or combining overline rather than
    combining dot above.

    > On my computer, though, it looks kind of ugly used with figures, as
    > the dot in the font appears to be placed to go above small letters,
    > and collides with the tops of (lining) figures or capital letters.

    The results inevitably depend on the font and on the browser, when combining
    diacritic marks are used.

    The approach of using text-decoration: overline or border-bottom give more
    consistent results.

    But a notation like 0.333... is probably best. It's reasonably
    self-explanatory and clear and requires no special techniques. You can use
    the horizontal ellipsis character instead of "..." to get better typography,
    but the result depends on the font.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 7, 2007
  12. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f98sts$djf$>,
    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > > dorayme wrote:
    > >> I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
    > >> decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
    > >> of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
    > >> recurring decimal point is needed.
    > >>
    > >> (you know... the dot on top of the 3 or 6 for the decimal
    > >> representation of thirds and two thirds).

    > > Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you
    > > can also put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits:
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinculum_(symbol)
    > >
    > > You could do this in css:

    > > .recurring {
    > > border-top: 1px solid black;
    > > }
    > > Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>
    > >
    > > Not ideal I know (what about people without css, using non-visual
    > > browsers etc), but if you can't find another way you might want to
    > > consider it

    > Ummm text-decoration: overline would be smarter now that I think of it :p

    Hmmm..., I did not think of a vinculum. The overline would be the
    best choice. So thanks for this.

    I so hanker for that dot but the line vinculum is definitely
    better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick.

    AD talks about Ruby. All I know about Ruby is that song by Kenny
    Rogers who tells her so rhythmically not to take her love to
    town, it was not his idea for that crazy Asian war, that he is
    not the man he used to be, that he has heard that it won't be
    long before he won't be around... can't recall any more... My god
    that was a catchy one!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 7, 2007
  13. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <575ui.203900$%>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > a notation like 0.333... is probably best. It's reasonably
    > self-explanatory and clear and requires no special techniques.

    In normal circumstances, this is what I favour too. There was a
    special context I had in mind where space needed to be conserved.
    The vinculum will be fine for it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 7, 2007
  14. dorayme

    I V Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:24:56 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:
    > Is that x-face really you or did you copp one of Duende's Roaring-20's
    > pics?

    It's not strictly me (it's actually a photo of Trotsky), but it's close
    enough (given the limits of X-Faces) that it's pretty much
    indistinguishable.
    I V, Aug 8, 2007
  15. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:33:54 GMT
    I V scribed:

    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:24:56 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Is that x-face really you or did you copp one of Duende's Roaring-20's
    >> pics?

    > It's not strictly me (it's actually a photo of Trotsky), but it's close
    > enough (given the limits of X-Faces) that it's pretty much
    > indistinguishable.

    Trotsky! One of his better, for sure. Anyway, it's a nice x-face.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 8, 2007
  16. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:33:54 GMT
    > I V scribed:
    >
    >> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:24:56 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Is that x-face really you or did you copp one of Duende's Roaring-20's
    >>> pics?

    >> It's not strictly me (it's actually a photo of Trotsky), but it's close
    >> enough (given the limits of X-Faces) that it's pretty much
    >> indistinguishable.

    > Trotsky! One of his better, for sure. Anyway, it's a nice x-face.

    Okay, that's it. I haven't got the code installed to show X-Faces in
    this installation of my client. That's gonna be my next project.
    (Sure, I can see them in some of my other mail clients, but that's no
    challenge. <g>)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 8, 2007
  17. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 02:07:35
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007
    >> 01:33:54 GMT I V scribed:

    >>> It's not strictly me (it's actually a photo of Trotsky), but it's
    >>> close enough (given the limits of X-Faces) that it's pretty much
    >>> indistinguishable.

    >> Trotsky! One of his better, for sure. Anyway, it's a nice x-face.

    > Okay, that's it. I haven't got the code installed to show X-Faces in
    > this installation of my client. That's gonna be my next project.
    > (Sure, I can see them in some of my other mail clients, but that's no
    > challenge. <g>)

    I like 'em and think they're fun. Even Jukka had one at one time, although
    his made him look rather like a wierd, emaciated weed. (-No accounting for
    taste.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 8, 2007
  18. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 02:07:35
    > GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007
    >>> 01:33:54 GMT I V scribed:

    >>> Trotsky! One of his better, for sure. Anyway, it's a nice x-face.

    >> Okay, that's it. I haven't got the code installed to show X-Faces in
    >> this installation of my client. That's gonna be my next project.
    >> (Sure, I can see them in some of my other mail clients, but that's no
    >> challenge. <g>)

    > I like 'em and think they're fun. Even Jukka had one at one time, although
    > his made him look rather like a wierd, emaciated weed. (-No accounting for
    > taste.)

    I seem to remember that one. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 8, 2007