How to make recurring decimal in html doc?

dorayme

I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
recurring decimal point is needed.

(you know... the dot on top of the 3 or 6 for the decimal
representation of thirds and two thirds).

Nik Coughlin

dorayme said:
I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
recurring decimal point is needed.

(you know... the dot on top of the 3 or 6 for the decimal
representation of thirds and two thirds).

Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you can also
put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinculum_(symbol)

You could do this in css:

.recurring {
border-top: 1px solid black;
}
Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>

Not ideal I know (what about people without css, using non-visual browsers
etc), but if you can't find another way you might want to consider it

Nik Coughlin

Nik said:
Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you
can also put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinculum_(symbol)

You could do this in css:

.recurring {
border-top: 1px solid black;
}
Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>

Not ideal I know (what about people without css, using non-visual
browsers etc), but if you can't find another way you might want to
consider it

Ummm text-decoration: overline would be smarter now that I think of it :p

BootNic

[snip]
.recurring {
border-top: 1px solid black;
}
Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>
[snip]

Perhaps text-decoration: overline; may be a better choice.

Nik Coughlin

BootNic said:
[snip]
.recurring {
border-top: 1px solid black;
}
Recurring decimal: 0.<span class="recurring">6</span>
[snip]

Perhaps text-decoration: overline; may be a better choice.

I beat you to it, already corrected myself :)

Another notation sometimes used is 0.(6)

BootNic

Nik Coughlin said:
I beat you to it, already corrected myself :)

Another notation sometimes used is 0.(6)

I am told these things happen now and again.

--
BootNic Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:52 AM

The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. An
efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty.
*Eugene McCarthy *

I V

I cannot seem to find quickly enough how to write a recurring
decimal in HTMl. Anyone please? I am using Unicode UTF-8 for most
of my html files but am happy to follow other advice where this
recurring decimal point is needed.

U+0307 is the code point for "Combining dot above."

On my computer, though, it looks kind of ugly used with figures, as the
dot in the font appears to be placed to go above small letters, and
collides with the tops of (lining) figures or capital letters.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:13:24 GMT
I V scribed:
U+0307 is the code point for "Combining dot above."

On my computer, though, it looks kind of ugly used with figures, as the
dot in the font appears to be placed to go above small letters, and
collides with the tops of (lining) figures or capital letters.

Is that x-face really you or did you copp one of Duende's Roaring-20's
pics?

Andy Dingley

Repeating decimals can be expressed with ellipsis notation but you can also
put a vinculum bar over the repeating digits

How about Ruby (the HTML markup, not the thing on Rails)? Fallback to
ellipsis should work, even if the browser doesn't grok ruby.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit I V:
U+0307 is the code point for "Combining dot above."

The notation referred to uses a "vinculum", a line over a digit. Thus, this
would be a job for combining macron or combining overline rather than
combining dot above.
On my computer, though, it looks kind of ugly used with figures, as
the dot in the font appears to be placed to go above small letters,
and collides with the tops of (lining) figures or capital letters.

The results inevitably depend on the font and on the browser, when combining
diacritic marks are used.

The approach of using text-decoration: overline or border-bottom give more
consistent results.

But a notation like 0.333... is probably best. It's reasonably
self-explanatory and clear and requires no special techniques. You can use
the horizontal ellipsis character instead of "..." to get better typography,
but the result depends on the font.

dorayme

"Nik Coughlin said:
Ummm text-decoration: overline would be smarter now that I think of it :p

Hmmm..., I did not think of a vinculum. The overline would be the
best choice. So thanks for this.

I so hanker for that dot but the line vinculum is definitely
better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick.

AD talks about Ruby. All I know about Ruby is that song by Kenny
Rogers who tells her so rhythmically not to take her love to
town, it was not his idea for that crazy Asian war, that he is
not the man he used to be, that he has heard that it won't be
long before he won't be around... can't recall any more... My god
that was a catchy one!

dorayme

"Jukka K. Korpela said:
a notation like 0.333... is probably best. It's reasonably
self-explanatory and clear and requires no special techniques.

In normal circumstances, this is what I favour too. There was a
special context I had in mind where space needed to be conserved.
The vinculum will be fine for it.

I V

Is that x-face really you or did you copp one of Duende's Roaring-20's
pics?

It's not strictly me (it's actually a photo of Trotsky), but it's close
enough (given the limits of X-Faces) that it's pretty much
indistinguishable.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:33:54 GMT
I V scribed:
It's not strictly me (it's actually a photo of Trotsky), but it's close
enough (given the limits of X-Faces) that it's pretty much
indistinguishable.

Trotsky! One of his better, for sure. Anyway, it's a nice x-face.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:33:54 GMT
I V scribed:

Trotsky! One of his better, for sure. Anyway, it's a nice x-face.

Okay, that's it. I haven't got the code installed to show X-Faces in
this installation of my client. That's gonna be my next project.
(Sure, I can see them in some of my other mail clients, but that's no
challenge. <g>)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 02:07:35
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Okay, that's it. I haven't got the code installed to show X-Faces in
this installation of my client. That's gonna be my next project.
(Sure, I can see them in some of my other mail clients, but that's no
challenge. <g>)

I like 'em and think they're fun. Even Jukka had one at one time, although
his made him look rather like a wierd, emaciated weed. (-No accounting for
taste.)

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 02:07:35
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

I like 'em and think they're fun. Even Jukka had one at one time, although
his made him look rather like a wierd, emaciated weed. (-No accounting for
taste.)

I seem to remember that one. :)