How To: make the datalist scroll to the cell being edited?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alan Silver, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    Hello,

    I have a datalist which I am using to view and modify some data. When
    the user clicks the "edit" link, the appropriate cell is moved into edit
    mode, as specified in the EditTemplate.

    The problem is that if the data table is longer than the browser window,
    so the user has to scroll down to see parts of it, then when they are
    taken to edit mode, the page loads and stays at the top of the table.
    They then have to scroll down and find the cell they asked to edit.

    Any way to take them straight to the cell? Any other solutions to the
    problem, for example forcing the row containing the cell to be edited to
    the top of the table, etc?

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Alan Silver

    Ollie Riches Guest

    you can use SmartNavigation to do this. It will persist page scroll position
    and page focus between postbacks. Unfortuantely this will only work in IE
    browsers. check out

    frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopic.asp

    I guess if you want to support non IE browsers you could use an anchor
    instead

    --
    HTH

    Ollie Riches
    http://www.phoneanalyser.net

    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
    representative of my employer.
    I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a programmer
    helping programmers.

    Ollie Riches, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >you can use SmartNavigation to do this. It will persist page scroll position
    >and page focus between postbacks. Unfortuantely this will only work in IE
    >browsers. check out
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/
    >frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopic.asp
    >
    >I guess if you want to support non IE browsers you could use an anchor
    >instead

    How can I do that? I don't have control over the postback URL (do I?),
    so I can't add an anchor to it.

    Please clarify this last bit as I would like a cross-browser solution.

    Thanks

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >you can use SmartNavigation to do this. It will persist page scroll
    >position and page focus between postbacks. Unfortuantely this will only
    >work in IE browsers. check out
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
    >tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopic.asp

    I just tried this and it stopped my "edit" linkbutton from working. When
    I added the page directive, nothing happened when I clicked on the
    linkbutton. As soon as I removed the directive, it worked again.

    Any explanation? It's a shame as it's a nice feature.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Feb 17, 2005