how to make VS auto suggest properties during dev

Rick Csucsai

After a year and a half of not touching ASP.NET, I have finally talked my
company into letting me build a useable app in .NET instead of classic. Now
I have to play catch up. i would really appreciate answers to the following
(hopefully easy) questions.

I have the web created (well, in dev) and the pages process fine. How can I
get VS (2003) to auto suggest properties for web controls. For example, I
created a new page called junkpage.aspx (outside of VS, direct into folder
where web pages exist). When I open the page in VS, and start typing
something like :

<asp:label id="mylabel" "

At this point I would expect VS to pop up a list suggesting all of the
properties of a label such as forecolor, text etc. On my pages however,
there is nothing. Also, in the left pane where the "toolbar" is, there are
no server controls. Just regular HTML which if you drag into the aspx page,
simply put in HTML instead of the server control (for example, Select
instead of DropDownList).

What am I missing here?

thanks
Rick

Phillip Ian

For example, I created a new page called junkpage.aspx (outside of VS, direct into folder where web pages exist).<<

I think that's the cause of the missing controls. Despite naming it
..aspx, your page really isn't an asp.net page yet. You'll need to
either add the <%@ Page ... > line at the top, or (what I'd do) only
create asp.net pages from within VS.NET.

That should fix the intellisense problem as well.

Rick Csucsai

Looks like VS does not see this aspx page as a web form. Anyone know what I
need to do to tell VS that anytime I open this page, consider it a web form
and make all of the associated tools available to me?

Rick Csucsai

Thanks. I will give it a try!