how to make VS auto suggest properties during dev

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rick Csucsai, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Rick Csucsai

    Rick Csucsai Guest

    After a year and a half of not touching ASP.NET, I have finally talked my
    company into letting me build a useable app in .NET instead of classic. Now
    I have to play catch up. i would really appreciate answers to the following
    (hopefully easy) questions.

    I have the web created (well, in dev) and the pages process fine. How can I
    get VS (2003) to auto suggest properties for web controls. For example, I
    created a new page called junkpage.aspx (outside of VS, direct into folder
    where web pages exist). When I open the page in VS, and start typing
    something like :

    <asp:label id="mylabel" "

    At this point I would expect VS to pop up a list suggesting all of the
    properties of a label such as forecolor, text etc. On my pages however,
    there is nothing. Also, in the left pane where the "toolbar" is, there are
    no server controls. Just regular HTML which if you drag into the aspx page,
    simply put in HTML instead of the server control (for example, Select
    instead of DropDownList).

    What am I missing here?

    thanks
    Rick

    Rick Csucsai, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Rick Csucsai

    Phillip Ian Guest

    >>For example, I created a new page called junkpage.aspx (outside of VS, direct into folder where web pages exist).<<

    I think that's the cause of the missing controls. Despite naming it
    ..aspx, your page really isn't an asp.net page yet. You'll need to
    either add the <%@ Page ... > line at the top, or (what I'd do) only
    create asp.net pages from within VS.NET.

    That should fix the intellisense problem as well.

    Phillip Ian, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Rick Csucsai

    Rick Csucsai Guest

    Looks like VS does not see this aspx page as a web form. Anyone know what I
    need to do to tell VS that anytime I open this page, consider it a web form
    and make all of the associated tools available to me?

    Rick Csucsai, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Rick Csucsai

    Rick Csucsai Guest

    Thanks. I will give it a try!

    Rick Csucsai, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Rick Csucsai

    Jeffrey Todd Guest

    You may find that VS.NET 2003 does a terrible job of working with ASPX pages
    (html in particular). This explains specifically what I'm talking about:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/MikhailArkhipov/archive/2004/05/16/132886.aspx

    Many of us use FrontPage or Dreamweaver for all HTML-specific work (i.e.,
    ASPX and ASCX file development) and use VS.NET only for
    programming/code-behind work.

    -HTH

    Jeffrey Todd, Jun 11, 2005