How to manage child control state for Custom Web Control?

ChrisMiddle10

Hey, I am developing a fairly simple custom web control. I am, however,
having a major problem understanding how to have any child controls
maintain state.

For instance, in my particular control I am making another control
collection accessible, which belongs to a Panel object. How do I ensure
that the Panel maintains its state and that of its children?

I've tried saving the Panel in my ViewState property, but controls are
not serializable.

Any answers/suggestions would be great!! Thanks!!