    direction?
    any related CPAN modules
    thanks in advance.

    jiing, Nov 30, 2004

  2. On 29 Nov 2004 20:18:01 -0800, (jiing) wrote:

    >I want to write a program which can manage phpBB, windows 2003 server

    ^^^^^
    ^^^^^
    >and FreeBSD user accounts simultaneously.
    > Where can I find related information? Could you show me the
    >direction?
    > any related CPAN modules

    I may be wrong, but are you sure phpBB has anything to do with CPAN,
    let alone Perl?!?

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Nov 30, 2004

  3. jiing

    jiing Guest

    Michele Dondi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 29 Nov 2004 20:18:01 -0800, (jiing) wrote:
    >
    > >I want to write a program which can manage phpBB, windows 2003 server

    > ^^^^^
    > ^^^^^
    > >and FreeBSD user accounts simultaneously.
    > > Where can I find related information? Could you show me the
    > >direction?
    > > any related CPAN modules

    > I may be wrong, but are you sure phpBB has anything to do with CPAN,
    > let alone Perl?!?
    >
    > Michele

    Thanks Michele, it's good to get your response.
    Let me restate my question again.
    I want to manage the accounts of phpBB (someone said it just need to
    modify the database of phpBB, I am not quite sure), accounts of
    Windows 2003 server, and accounts of FreeBSD.
    I have tried to find out some CPAN modules that may be useful:
    Win32:Admin author:Dava Roth
    Win32::AdminMisc
    Win32::NetAdmin
    Win32::Lanman author:Jens Helberg
    HTTPD::UserAdmin
    Net::LDAP
    But I am just a newbie of Perl, and not very sure what I should do,
    what information I should find.
    in fact, I do not know the account management at all, either in
    FreeBSD or in Windows 2003 server.

    Can anyone give me some suggestion?
    thanks a lot.

    jiing, Dec 1, 2004
  4. > in fact, I do not know the account management at all, either in
    > FreeBSD or in Windows 2003 server.
    >
    > Can anyone give me some suggestion?
    > thanks a lot.

    I recommend looking at LDAP (lightweight directory access protocol)

    Jeremiah Foster, Dec 1, 2004
  5. On 30 Nov 2004 23:08:08 -0800, (jiing) wrote:

    >Thanks Michele, it's good to get your response.
    >Let me restate my question again.
    >I want to manage the accounts of phpBB (someone said it just need to

    ^^^
    ^^^

    >modify the database of phpBB, I am not quite sure), accounts of

    ^^^
    ^^^

    Well, phpBB is a CMS written in php. So a priori it is doubtful that
    "native support" for Perl is provided. I don't even know if it is
    possible, but it may be that someone has written a Perl module to do
    what you want anyway. In that case search CPAN. Did you find anything?

    >Windows 2003 server, and accounts of FreeBSD.
    >I have tried to find out some CPAN modules that may be useful:

    [snip]

    In that case, OK: there are probably modules to do what you want.

    >But I am just a newbie of Perl, and not very sure what I should do,
    >what information I should find.

    If you are willing to listen to my humble opinion, then you should
    first become familiar at least with the very basics of Perl. Then and
    only then you can even *begin* to think of using whatever module to
    manage complex tasks, let alone potentially risky ones like those
    you're dealing with.

    >in fact, I do not know the account management at all, either in
    >FreeBSD or in Windows 2003 server.

    Ditto as above.

    Please note that dealing with such delicate areas is a kind of
    activity that even many Perl (or other languages FWIW) experts will
    handle with MUCH, MUCH care. So... be careful. And patient!

    >Can anyone give me some suggestion?
    >thanks a lot.

    I'm afraid I can't give you any beyond what I wrote above. Sorry!

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Dec 1, 2004
  6. jiing

    jiing Guest

    Michele Dondi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 30 Nov 2004 23:08:08 -0800, (jiing) wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks Michele, it's good to get your response.
    > >Let me restate my question again.
    > >I want to manage the accounts of phpBB (someone said it just need to

    > ^^^
    > ^^^
    >
    > >modify the database of phpBB, I am not quite sure), accounts of

    > ^^^
    > ^^^
    >
    > Well, phpBB is a CMS written in php. So a priori it is doubtful that
    > "native support" for Perl is provided. I don't even know if it is
    > possible, but it may be that someone has written a Perl module to do
    > what you want anyway. In that case search CPAN. Did you find anything?
    >
    > >Windows 2003 server, and accounts of FreeBSD.
    > >I have tried to find out some CPAN modules that may be useful:

    > [snip]
    >
    > In that case, OK: there are probably modules to do what you want.
    >
    > >But I am just a newbie of Perl, and not very sure what I should do,
    > >what information I should find.

    > If you are willing to listen to my humble opinion, then you should
    > first become familiar at least with the very basics of Perl. Then and
    > only then you can even *begin* to think of using whatever module to
    > manage complex tasks, let alone potentially risky ones like those
    > you're dealing with.
    >
    > >in fact, I do not know the account management at all, either in
    > >FreeBSD or in Windows 2003 server.

    > Ditto as above.
    >
    > Please note that dealing with such delicate areas is a kind of
    > activity that even many Perl (or other languages FWIW) experts will
    > handle with MUCH, MUCH care. So... be careful. And patient!
    >
    > >Can anyone give me some suggestion?
    > >thanks a lot.

    > I'm afraid I can't give you any beyond what I wrote above. Sorry!
    >

    > Michele

    Michele, thanks for your sincere option.
    My boss told me phpBB part can be solved by directly access the mySQL database.

    /jiing/

    jiing, Dec 2, 2004
  7. On 1 Dec 2004 18:36:30 -0800, (jiing) wrote:

    >My boss told me phpBB part can be solved by directly access the mySQL database.

    Then perl offers excellent support for this kind of things. Please
    check

    perldoc -q SQL

    HTH,
    Michele