How to map Project directories to Production sub-directories

Joel Finkel

Folks,

I am confused about how to map development Project directories to the final production environment. In development, each Project must be mapped to an IIS Application root directory. But in production, I want each Project to map to a sub-directory under a single IIS Application root directory.

In production, this is what I want. The FOOAPP is the IIS Application root. Under it is the bin directory for all of the DLLs that the Application will use. FOOAPP also contains the Web.config file that controls access through Froms Authentication to all the sub-directories through <location> tags. There are no other Web.config files.

FOOAPP

bin

admin

|__ adminLogin

|__ adminMainMenu

|__ maintainMembers

|__ etc...

The Web.Config file redirects un-autenticated users to a login.aspx page in the adminLogin sub-directory.

This then redirects authenticated users to the mainMenu.aspx page in the adminMainMenu sub-directory. As I add more functions (Projects), I can simply add menu options to this mainMenu.aspx page.

The web site uses SSL.

My development environment uses the same web server, but a different, IP-protected web site that is established on a different port. Authentication is turned off via the Web.config file. It does not use SSL.

The development structure is similar to the production environment. However, each Project must have its own IIS virtual directory. This is not what I want in production. I want a SINGLE virtual directory with sub-directories. Also, of course, for testing I do not copy the DLLs to a single bin directory.

QUESTIONS:

1) Have I set this up correctly?

2) When I Copy a Project to the production directory, am I correct in moving the DLLs to the single bin directory directly under the FOOAPP IIS Application root?

3) No matter where I store the DLLs, I cannot execute any page because the system cannot load the form's class. I get an error message in the form of:

Line 1: <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="index.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="myProjectAdmin.Index" %>

4) The page will load ONLY if I make the directory it is in an IIS Application. This is not what I want! I simply want it to be a sub-directory of the single IIS Applcation root, FOOAPP . So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Joel Finkel
(e-mail address removed)