How to mark up this list

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    John, Feb 4, 2008

  2. John

    adwatson Guest

    On Feb 4, 12:04 pm, John <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Suppose I want a list like this:
    >
    > http://www.lester1.eclipse.co.uk/list.gif
    >
    > How should it be marked up? Do I use <br> tags or put paragraphs inside
    > the <li>'s?

    If there will be actual paragraphs within each bullet point, then I
    think it makes sense to put them in P tags. You can always tweak the
    spacing between paragraphs with CSS if needed.

    - aric

    ---
    www.NEXCESS.NET - Shared/Reseller Hosting
    www.EliteRax.com - Dedicated Servers, Server Clusters
    www.MaxVPS.com - Virtual Private Servers
    - Great prices, Great service - check us out!

    adwatson, Feb 4, 2008

  3. John

    Mullein row Guest

    that would be an <ol>. i don't think you would necessarily need <br />
    tags. i think you would just have to style it.

    Mullein row, Feb 4, 2008
  4. John wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Suppose I want a list like this:
    >
    > http://www.lester1.eclipse.co.uk/list.gif
    >
    > How should it be marked up? Do I use <br> tags or put paragraphs inside
    > the <li>'s?

    They are paragraphs. Mark them up as such.

    Harlan Messinger, Feb 4, 2008
  5. John

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello
    >
    > Suppose I want a list like this:
    >
    > http://www.lester1.eclipse.co.uk/list.gif
    >
    > How should it be marked up? Do I use <br> tags or put paragraphs inside
    > the <li>'s?

    This is not really a list. I would use <p> tags and CSS for this.

    SAZ, Feb 4, 2008
  6. SAZ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Suppose I want a list like this:
    >>
    >> http://www.lester1.eclipse.co.uk/list.gif
    >>
    >> How should it be marked up? Do I use <br> tags or put paragraphs inside
    >> the <li>'s?
    >>

    > This is not really a list. I would use <p> tags and CSS for this.

    Sure it is.

    Harlan Messinger, Feb 4, 2008
  7. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 4 Feb, 17:04, John <> wrote:
    > Suppose I want a list like this:
    > http://www.lester1.eclipse.co.uk/list.gif
    >
    > How should it be marked up?

    Can't tell from that example alone. Is this a "list of headings", with
    some explanatory content for each? Or is it a list of sections, with
    numbered headers? i.e. is the body or the header the most significant
    content?

    In the first case, it's a list.

    <ol>
    <li><h2>Foo</h2>

    <li><h2>Bar</h2>
    </ol>

    In the second case, just use this:
    <h2>Foo</h2>

    <h2>Bar</h2>

    You can apply numbering through CSS, which will be the default for
    <ol> anyway. OTOH, control of CSS numbering isn't well supported, so
    that if the numbers are signifcact (i.e. they'll be referenced from
    elsewhere) then I'd prefer to hard-code them into the HTML. In that
    case, look at the CSS text-indent property too.

    > Do I use <br> tags

    No.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 4, 2008
  8. Scripsit Andy Dingley:

    > <ol>
    > <li><h2>Foo</h2>

    The main problem with this approach is that the numbers look rather
    pathetic: by default, they appear in the basic font of the page, whereas
    h2 is bold and bigger.

    If you want the h2 to appear in normal font size but bold as by default
    and the number to match this, you can use a little tricky CSS code that
    sets the <ol> element (thereby the numbers as well) to bold but switches
    this off for the paragraphs:

    ol h2 { font-size: 100%; }
    ol { font-weight: bold; }
    ol p { font-weight: normal; }

    Alternatively, you could make the numbers part of the headings and omit
    the <ol> markup. It's not a sin to do so, especially in the absence of
    reasonably-supported CSS tools for automatic numbering of paragraphs.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 4, 2008
  9. John

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Andy Dingley <> wrote:

    > On 4 Feb, 17:04, John <> wrote:
    > > Suppose I want a list like this:
    > > http://www.lester1.eclipse.co.uk/list.gif
    > >
    > > How should it be marked up?

    > Can't tell from that example alone. Is this a "list of headings", with
    > some explanatory content for each? Or is it a list of sections, with
    > numbered headers? i.e. is the body or the header the most significant
    > content?
    >
    > In the first case, it's a list.
    >
    > <ol>

    True, one cannot tell from the post the real nature of the
    material, but an ol is no great choice for a list because while
    there is a main point, there seems no evidence that the rest of
    the points have an ascending or descending status.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 4, 2008
  10. John

    Mullein row Guest

    How about preformatted text?

    <head>
    <title>preformated text</title>
    #container{}
    </head>
    <pre>
    <b>1. Eggs</b>

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis
    adipiscing.

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis
    adipiscing.

    <b>2. Milk</b>

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis
    adipiscing.

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis
    adipiscing.

    <b>3. Butter</b>

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis
    adipiscing.

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis
    adipiscing.
    </pre>

    Mullein row, Feb 4, 2008
  11. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 15:20:38 -0800 (PST), Mullein row
    <> wrote:

    >How about preformatted text?

    I can think of worse ways, but only by using Flash.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 5, 2008
  12. John

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Mullein row <> wrote:

    > How about preformatted text?

    How about top quoting and middle or bottom posting?

    And, btw, I am sorry to say this, but I am the idiot around here,
    not you. So please don't make silly suggestions, you will never
    topple my ascendancy.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 5, 2008
  13. John

    Mullein row Guest

    On Feb 4, 7:26 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    >  Mullein row <> wrote:
    >
    > > How about preformatted text?

    > How about top quoting and middle or bottom posting?
    >
    > And, btw, I am sorry to say this, but I am the idiot around here,
    > not you. So please don't make silly suggestions, you will never
    > topple my ascendancy.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    if you're talking to me, why would I need to try to one up a self
    proclaimed idiot?

    Mullein row, Feb 5, 2008
  14. John

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Mullein row <> wrote:

    > On Feb 4, 7:26 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <
    > > m>,
    > >  Mullein row <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > How about preformatted text?

    > > How about top quoting and middle or bottom posting?
    > >
    > > And, btw, I am sorry to say this, but I am the idiot around here,
    > > not you. So please don't make silly suggestions, you will never
    > > topple my ascendancy.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > if you're talking to me, why would I need to try to one up a self
    > proclaimed idiot?

    I guess for any number of reasons. For example, you might not
    know the idiocy index of the being you are conversing with. In
    general, intention is dependent on knowledge. You can intend to
    be a certain thing in relation to some one else and be perfectly
    reasonable in doing so without succeeding.

    (But no... it was mean of me, I am sorry... don't be upset... I
    will be frank with you: I was suitably wounded by your words and
    quite deserved them)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 5, 2008