    Could anybody provide me the necessary guidance?

    Thanks
    lal.

    vipin lal, May 5, 2010

  2. On 5 Mai, 12:22, vipin lal <> wrote:
    >   I am interested in developing IP's.And I would like to market
    > them.But as a beginner I dont know how to enter into this business.I
    > have doubt about fixing the price of an IP and finding out potential
    > customers.
    >   Right now I have developed some IP's like Triple DES,JPEG encoder
    > etc. But I am confused about fixing a price.
    >
    > Could anybody provide me the necessary guidance?

    Some interessting questions you should answer yourself:
    - Why buying your IP instead of developing itself(better,
    cheaper,...)?
    - How could you convince your customer that your code contains no
    bugs?
    - How yould you convince your customer, that you could (and will)
    support in case of any bugs left that arise several months after the
    contract?

    From my point of view I would avoid to buy from an one-man-company any
    IP, as I think that the last two points are hard to cover from a
    single person.

    bye Thomas

    Thomas Stanka, May 5, 2010

  3. vipin lal wrote:

    > Right now I have developed some IP's like Triple DES,JPEG encoder
    > etc. But I am confused about fixing a price.

    Customers are the problem, not the price.
    Consider starting out with open source samples.
    You might meet a future customer that way.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, May 6, 2010
  4. vipin lal

    vipin lal Guest

    Thanks Thomas for your reply.

    > Some interessting questions you should answer yourself:
    > - Why buying your IP instead of developing itself(better,
    > cheaper,...)?

    It is true that there are many IP vendors such as xilinx,ARM,Cast etc
    in this area.But I think that there IP's are costly(i am sure
    though).I will be selling it at a lower price.And one more point I
    have to say is that, when you design something you can optimize it for
    speed or area used.I can ask the customer his specifications and
    customize the design accordingly so that it works perfectly for him.I
    dont think this kind of modifications in the code is not done in "big
    vendors" case.

    > - How could you convince your customer that your code contains no
    > bugs?

    This I have no idea.Say I have implemented a 63 bit DES , there is no
    way that I can test all the input cases and make sure that design is
    working.
    Do you have any idea about any organizations which are ready to
    certify your design or something like that?

    > - How yould you convince your customer, that you could (and will)
    > support in case of any bugs left that arise several months after the
    > contract?

    This is another thing I am confused about.I am sure that, if the code
    has bugs I will definitely assist them,but how can I get people's
    trust?
    Is it not possible to mention it in the contract.I saw some vendor
    sites.They have mentioned a 90 days warrany period on their code.Is
    that enough or you have to extend the period more?

    > From my point of view I would avoid to buy from an one-man-company any
    > IP, as I think that the last two points are hard to cover from a
    > single person.

    So if I have a website and a registered company will you be ready to
    trade with them? Right now I cant recruit people, because I have no
    idea about the future of this kind of business.

    vipin lal, May 6, 2010
  5. vipin lal

    vipin lal Guest

    On May 6, 4:10 am, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > vipin lal wrote:
    > >   Right now I have developed some IP's like Triple DES,JPEG encoder
    > > etc. But I am confused about fixing a price.

    > Customers are the problem, not the price.
    > Consider starting out with open source samples.
    > You might meet a future customer that way.
    >
    >       -- Mike Treseler

    Hi Mike, starting with open source samples for getting in touch with
    future customers is a nice idea.I will consider that.
    I went through some forums and some people said that many small
    companies who entered into this area left without much success or they
    were taken by some big vendors.Is it that difficult to hold on in this
    business?
    Really confusing!!!

    Thanks
    --vipin

    vipin lal, May 6, 2010
  6. vipin lal

    Tricky Guest

    > It is true that there are many IP vendors such as xilinx,ARM,Cast etc
    > in this area.But I think that there IP's are costly(i am sure
    > though).I will be selling it at a lower price.And one more point I
    > have to say is that, when you design something you can optimize it for
    > speed or area used.I can ask the customer his specifications and
    > customize the design accordingly so that it works perfectly for him.I
    > dont think this kind of modifications in the code is not done in "big
    > vendors" case.

    I think the problem you face is that most developers after IP will be
    spending tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) developing a
    new board. They are not going to worry about paying an extra couple of
    thousand to licence the IP from a more reputable vendor.

    Going to the open source market might work on a small scale volumes of
    after sales, but I bet you'd be better off getting a job for a company
    that develops IP.

    Tricky, May 6, 2010
  7. vipin lal

    vipin lal Guest

    On May 6, 12:04 pm, Tricky <> wrote:
    > > It is true that there are many IP vendors such as xilinx,ARM,Cast etc
    > > in this area.But I think that there IP's are costly(i am sure
    > > though).I will be selling it at a lower price.And one more point I
    > > have to say is that, when you design something you can optimize it for
    > > speed or area used.I can ask the customer his specifications and
    > > customize the design accordingly so that it works perfectly for him.I
    > > dont think this kind of modifications in the code is not done in "big
    > > vendors" case.

    > I think the problem you face is that most developers after IP will be
    > spending tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) developing a
    > new board. They are not going to worry about paying an extra couple of
    > thousand to licence the IP from a more reputable vendor.
    >
    > Going to the open source market might work on a small scale volumes of
    > after sales, but I bet you'd be better off getting a job for a company
    > that develops IP.

    yeah,may be true in some sense.but I prefer working what ever I feel
    like doing.That is why I am trying to do this.Money is not the only
    reason I do this.

    vipin lal, May 6, 2010
  8. On 5/5/10 11:40 PM, vipin lal wrote:

    > This is another thing I am confused about.I am sure that, if the code
    > has bugs I will definitely assist them,but how can I get people's
    > trust?
    > Is it not possible to mention it in the contract.I saw some vendor
    > sites.They have mentioned a 90 days warrany period on their code.Is
    > that enough or you have to extend the period more?

    I strongly suggest you read the book "Marketing High Technology" by
    William Davidow of Intel. It should be required reading for all EEs.

    -Jeff

    Jeff Cunningham, May 7, 2010
  9. vipin lal

    KJ Guest

    On May 7, 8:49 am, Jeff Cunningham <> wrote:

    > I strongly suggest you read the book "Marketing High Technology" by
    > William Davidow of Intel. It should be required reading for all EEs.

    I wonder if there are any EE books that are suggested reading for the
    marketers...and if those are picture books?

    KJ

    KJ, May 8, 2010