how to max window for JRE installation?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Geoff Cox, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    Hello,

    JRE (Java 1) is installed as part of a Java program installation using
    InstallShield.

    Some people find that the JRE installation window is behind another
    window and fail to see the smaller JRE window which has a next button
    on it and so fail to continue with the JRE installation.

    This does not happen on my PC - any ideas why get this different
    behaviour?

    Is it possible to always have the JRE window on the top of all open
    windows?

    I have a custom action in InstallShield which runs the
    jre-1_1_8_009-win.exe file. Can I add a parameter to force the window
    on top of all open windows?

    Thanks

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Geoff Cox

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Geoff Cox wrote:

    > I have a custom action in InstallShield which runs the
    > jre-1_1_8_009-win.exe file. Can I add a parameter to force the window
    > on top of all open windows?

    [no other answers yet, so I'll venture a speculation]

    I don't really know, but I rather doubt it. The way Windows works when windows
    want themselves to be at the front (without the users' cooperation) has changed
    over the last few years, and while it may be possible to code around that, I
    can't see why a very old installer should include that code.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:00:36 -0000, "Chris Uppal"
    <-THIS.org> wrote:

    >Geoff Cox wrote:
    >
    >> I have a custom action in InstallShield which runs the
    >> jre-1_1_8_009-win.exe file. Can I add a parameter to force the window
    >> on top of all open windows?

    >[no other answers yet, so I'll venture a speculation]
    >
    >I don't really know, but I rather doubt it. The way Windows works when windows
    >want themselves to be at the front (without the users' cooperation) has changed
    >over the last few years, and while it may be possible to code around that, I
    >can't see why a very old installer should include that code.

    Thanks Chris!

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Feb 7, 2006