How to merge a module into a package w/ distutils?

Discussion in 'Python' started by skip@pobox.com, Sep 6, 2008.

  1. Guest

    The bsddb module is on the way out (deprecated in 2.6, gone in 3.0). That
    leaves Python without a cross-platform dbm module to sit underneath anydbm
    and shelve. I figured it might be useful to base something on top of
    sqlite3, which is cross-platform. The result is available in the Python
    sandbox:

    http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/trunk/dbm_sqlite/

    There are three files, a dbm.sqlite module, a test case and a modified bit
    of dbm documentation.

    For testing I'd like to install this in such a way that I can simply

    import dbm.sqlite

    but not overwrite the core install. I'd also not like to lose dbm.gdbm, etc
    during this testing phase. Is there some way to do this with distutils?
    Ideally, I'd like there to be a dbm package in site-packages but which falls
    back to the central installation when, say, dbm.gdbm isn't found.

    Thx,

    Skip
    , Sep 6, 2008