how to mimik a main() function to start a program with entry point?

krishnakant Mane

hello all.
I have one simple query and may be that's to stupid to answer but I am
not finding the answer any ways.
I have a set of modules in my package and out if which one is my
actual starting point to my entire program. say for example I have an
entire database application ready and I want a main (as in java or c)
to initiate the program and may be bring up a login screen and then
pass the control on to the main window.
if I am giving raw source code that is easy because I will tell user
to run the command ./xyz.py which has that function.
but if I freze it into an executable with py2exe for example , how do
I solve this problem?
thanks.
Krishnakant.

sturlamolden

krishnakant said:
I have a set of modules in my package and out if which one is my
actual starting point to my entire program. say for example I have an
entire database application ready and I want a main (as in java or c)
to initiate the program and may be bring up a login screen and then
pass the control on to the main window.
if I am giving raw source code that is easy because I will tell user
to run the command ./xyz.py which has that function.
but if I freze it into an executable with py2exe for example , how do
I solve this problem?

If you cannot figure that out, you should not selling software.

if __name__ == '__main__':
#whatever

kmsmgill

def main():
print "Hello"

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

Simply verify __name__ and run any function from there. This will cause
main() to be run if the script is run directly. I haven't used py2exe,
so I'm not sure if it still applies.

--Kevin

Joshua J. Kugler

krishnakant said:
hello all.
I have one simple query and may be that's to stupid to answer but I am
not finding the answer any ways.
I have a set of modules in my package and out if which one is my
actual starting point to my entire program. say for example I have an
entire database application ready and I want a main (as in java or c)
to initiate the program and may be bring up a login screen and then
pass the control on to the main window.
if I am giving raw source code that is easy because I will tell user
to run the command ./xyz.py which has that function.
but if I freze it into an executable with py2exe for example , how do
I solve this problem?
thanks.
Krishnakant.

See http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=4829