How to modify an existing schema for a strongly typed dataset

socamb

all,

I need to do what seemes a simple task, but i am stuck. I have a
column in my database i need to change from 7 chars to 10 chars. I
have a number of strongly typed datasets in my system that use this
table.

I attempted to edit the xsd file in the designer and changed the 7 to
a 10.

But the underlaying class file did not get updated. When i searched
for the column i need to change it still was set to 7.

Then I attempted to run the "Table Adapter Configuration Widard". This
actually broke the application and it would not compile. I then
noticed that duplicate colmns appeared in the table in the dataset.
For example there was ProjectId and ProjectId1. ProjectId1 did not
exist before.

I hope i am missing something simple here.

I did change the code generated files to widen the columns in question
and the app seemed to work ok, but i am sure this is not the prefered
way to go,

any help would be appreciated.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You have to regen the underlying classes or edit each one. There is a way to
do it from the right click menu in the soultion explorer. In VS 2005, it was
(for some reason) named custom tool. That may have been fixed in one of
patches, however.

socamb

You have to regen the underlying classes or edit each one. There is a way to
do it from the right click menu in the soultion explorer. In VS 2005, it was
(for some reason) named custom tool. That may have been fixed in one of
patches, however.

| Think outside the box!

Thanks, but i tried
right click on the xsd file and "run custom tool".

It did not do anything that i could see.