How to navigate to new URL without new instance of browser

Osmo Saarikumpu

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn kirjoitti:
As you are an Opera user: I'm curious, was it disabled by default?

Sorry, I've been fiddling with them preferences and I can't remember for
sure the way it was out of the box. And there seems to be no "restore
defaults" setting.

Eric Bednarz

Osmo Saarikumpu said:
And Opera (at least my v. 9) has an option to enable/disable
"automatic redirection" (Preferences --> Advanced --> Network), which
affects only meta refreshes

It affects proper server-side redirects as well.

Paul E. Schoen

Stefan Weiss said:
You'd think so, wouldn't you. It sounds reasonable enough, but when you
rely on your best guess about user intentions, prepare to be surprised.
I just got off the phone, discussing a bug triggered by a weird IE
configuration. In centrally managed corporate LANs, all bets are off :)

That should do it, just don't rely on the meta refresh or scripting
alone.

I tested the links.htm page with IE7 after disabling the META refresh, and
it simply stayed on that page, which has a link to the correct page. This
is not a default setting and I really doubt that anyone who is browsing
singles sites or has a favorites link to this page will change that obscure
setting. If they do, it still works exactly as I would like it to. The old
page is merely a placeholder and I only need to maintain the new page.

I also checked the source for a forum that I frequent,
http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/posting.php, which uses the META
refresh to return to the forum after posting. This is obviously a
professionally built website and if they use this method I feel justified
to use it as well. I still do not see any serious downside to the method.
Note that the link above will indicate "No post mode specified". I viewed
the source after I made a post and it used the META refresh method. It also
had links to return either to the post or the forum, which take care of the
situation if someone has disabled the META refresh.

Paul

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Eric said:
It affects proper server-side redirects as well.

Confirmed for "Opera/9.64 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.1.1" on
"Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny3 with Suhosin-Patch Server at
localhost Port 80". If unchecked, the Apache status document (e.g., 302
Found) is displayed (which by default contains a link to the new location),
otherwise redirection to the new location takes place without displaying the
status document in-between.

You can test that e.g. with <http://PointedEars.de/scripts/es-matrix/> which
redirects server-side to <http://PointedEars.de/scripts/test/es-matrix/>
since quite a while (judging from the date of last modification, 2008-12-09
CE or before. If you are interested, the .htaccess file in scripts/
contains, among others, the line

RedirectMatch ^/scripts/es-matrix(.*) /scripts/test/es-matrix$1

-- AISB, as simple as that!)

However, I think that IE's setting, which evidently only affects META
refresh (see Richard's posting for details), is more important here, as that
browser has considerably greater a market share than Opera (about 33 times
as much, according to the latest data from Net Applications).

PointedEars