how to obtain heap dump on demand on windows and JRE 1.5.0_9 ?

Michal Slocinski

Hi,

I was searching through the web but cannot find answer for that
problem.

Client is running application on Windows using JRE 1.5.0_9 (no chance
to change OS or JVM version). Due to that fact I cannot use any of
following options:
- Ctrl + Break is introduced in 1.5.0_14
- jmap is not available on Windows JVM 1.5

Are there any other options or tools I could use? I would much prefer
creating a dump file over connecting to live system remotely with some
memory profiler.

Michal

Thomas Fritsch

Michal said:
I was searching through the web but cannot find answer for that
problem.

Client is running application on Windows using JRE 1.5.0_9 (no chance
to change OS or JVM version). Due to that fact I cannot use any of
following options:
- Ctrl + Break is introduced in 1.5.0_14
- jmap is not available on Windows JVM 1.5

Are there any other options or tools I could use? I would much prefer
creating a dump file over connecting to live system remotely with some
memory profiler.
I googled for
"Ctrl + break" signal
and found
<http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendSignal/>
Looks like this is what you need.

Thomas Fritsch

Michal said:
This would be pretty good - however - as I said, this is JVM 1.5.0_9
and Ctrl+Break for heap dumps is introduced in 1.5.0_14:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/jdk50_ts_guide.pdf

Michal
You are right, sorry! I overlooked that you mentioned this in your first
post already.

But I tested with "AdaptJ's StackTrace"
<http://www.adaptj.com/root/main/stacktrace> (also mentioned on the web
site of my first reply).
My test application was a little Swing app (running with JDK 1.4.2,
started from within eclipse IDE, as a javaw.exe process)
The StackTrace tool itself was running via WebStart with Java 1.6.0.

Surprisingly the tool (click "Process - Select", and then "Process -
Thread dump") was able to get a thread dump from my Java 1.4 app.

I know this is not quite what you wanted, but at least it is more than
nothing.

Michal Slocinski

You are right, sorry! I overlooked that you mentioned this in your first
post already.

But I tested with "AdaptJ's StackTrace"
<http://www.adaptj.com/root/main/stacktrace> (also mentioned on the web
site of my first reply).
My test application was a little Swing app (running with JDK 1.4.2,
started from within eclipse IDE, as a javaw.exe process)
The StackTrace tool itself was running via WebStart with Java 1.6.0.

Surprisingly the tool (click "Process - Select", and then "Process -
Thread dump") was able to get a thread dump from my Java 1.4 app.

I know this is not quite what you wanted, but at least it is more than
nothing.

Thanks for help. Actually thread dump (stack traces) you can get in
1.4 - this is documented feature. For my problems I found an option
which sounds to fit my requirements:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/HPROF.html.
Maybe not 100% but should be pretty good, I'll give it a try next
week.

cheers,

Michal