    creating a dump file over connecting to live system remotely with some
    memory profiler.

    Michal
    Michal Slocinski, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Michal Slocinski wrote:
    > I was searching through the web but cannot find answer for that
    > problem.
    >
    > Client is running application on Windows using JRE 1.5.0_9 (no chance
    > to change OS or JVM version). Due to that fact I cannot use any of
    > following options:
    > - Ctrl + Break is introduced in 1.5.0_14
    > - jmap is not available on Windows JVM 1.5
    >
    > Are there any other options or tools I could use? I would much prefer
    > creating a dump file over connecting to live system remotely with some
    > memory profiler.

    I googled for
    "Ctrl + break" signal
    and found
    <http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendSignal/>
    Looks like this is what you need.

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas Fritsch, Dec 7, 2007

  3. On Dec 7, 5:33 pm, Thomas Fritsch <>
    wrote:
    > Michal Slocinski wrote:
    > > I was searching through the web but cannot find answer for that
    > > problem.

    > > Client is running application on Windows using JRE 1.5.0_9 (no chance
    > > to change OS or JVM version). Due to that fact I cannot use any of
    > > following options:
    > > - Ctrl + Break is introduced in 1.5.0_14
    > > - jmap is not available on Windows JVM 1.5

    > > Are there any other options or tools I could use? I would much prefer
    > > creating a dump file over connecting to live system remotely with some
    > > memory profiler.

    > I googled for
    > "Ctrl + break" signal
    > and found
    > <http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendSignal/>
    > Looks like this is what you need.
    >
    > --
    > Thomas

    This would be pretty good - however - as I said, this is JVM 1.5.0_9
    and Ctrl+Break for heap dumps is introduced in 1.5.0_14:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/jdk50_ts_guide.pdf

    Michal
    Michal Slocinski, Dec 7, 2007
  4. Re: how to obtain heap dump on demand on windows and JRE 1.5.0_9?

    Michal Slocinski wrote:
    > Thomas Fritsch <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I googled for
    >> "Ctrl + break" signal
    >>and found
    >> <http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendSignal/>
    >>Looks like this is what you need.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Thomas

    > This would be pretty good - however - as I said, this is JVM 1.5.0_9
    > and Ctrl+Break for heap dumps is introduced in 1.5.0_14:
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/jdk50_ts_guide.pdf
    >
    > Michal

    You are right, sorry! I overlooked that you mentioned this in your first
    post already.

    But I tested with "AdaptJ's StackTrace"
    <http://www.adaptj.com/root/main/stacktrace> (also mentioned on the web
    site of my first reply).
    My test application was a little Swing app (running with JDK 1.4.2,
    started from within eclipse IDE, as a javaw.exe process)
    The StackTrace tool itself was running via WebStart with Java 1.6.0.

    Surprisingly the tool (click "Process - Select", and then "Process -
    Thread dump") was able to get a thread dump from my Java 1.4 app.

    I know this is not quite what you wanted, but at least it is more than
    nothing.

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas Fritsch, Dec 7, 2007
  5. On Dec 7, 6:41 pm, Thomas Fritsch <>
    wrote:
    > Michal Slocinski wrote:
    > > Thomas Fritsch <> wrote:

    > >>I googled for
    > >> "Ctrl + break" signal
    > >>and found
    > >> <http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendSignal/>
    > >>Looks like this is what you need.

    > >>--
    > >>Thomas

    > > This would be pretty good - however - as I said, this is JVM 1.5.0_9
    > > and Ctrl+Break for heap dumps is introduced in 1.5.0_14:
    > >http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html
    > >http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/jdk50_ts_guide.pdf

    > > Michal

    > You are right, sorry! I overlooked that you mentioned this in your first
    > post already.
    >
    > But I tested with "AdaptJ's StackTrace"
    > <http://www.adaptj.com/root/main/stacktrace> (also mentioned on the web
    > site of my first reply).
    > My test application was a little Swing app (running with JDK 1.4.2,
    > started from within eclipse IDE, as a javaw.exe process)
    > The StackTrace tool itself was running via WebStart with Java 1.6.0.
    >
    > Surprisingly the tool (click "Process - Select", and then "Process -
    > Thread dump") was able to get a thread dump from my Java 1.4 app.
    >
    > I know this is not quite what you wanted, but at least it is more than
    > nothing.
    >
    > --
    > Thomas

    Thanks for help. Actually thread dump (stack traces) you can get in
    1.4 - this is documented feature. For my problems I found an option
    which sounds to fit my requirements:
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/HPROF.html.
    Maybe not 100% but should be pretty good, I'll give it a try next
    week.

    cheers,

    Michal
    Michal Slocinski, Dec 7, 2007
  6. Michal Slocinski

    Lew Guest

    Michal Slocinski wrote:
    >>> This would be pretty good - however - as I said, this is JVM 1.5.0_9
    >>> and Ctrl+Break for heap dumps is introduced in 1.5.0_14:

    There was a security flaw found in Java which for Java 5 was fixed in Java 5
    update 10. You should definitely upgrade to the latest Java 5 (if not all the
    way to 6).

    <http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102934-1>

    --
    Lew