How to open an asp.net project in vs.net when no .sln is available

Bruce

If I copy the directory holding an asp.net project from one workstation to
another, then how can I open the project via vs.net on the second
workstation (where there is no longer an associated .sln file pointing to
it)?

Thanks, Bruce

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Bruce,

The ASP.NET webproject (for VS.NET2003 or 2002) can be opened in VS.NET
without nested in an existing solution. The important thing is to create
the correct Virtual directory to put your project files and page files on
the new box. You can open the .csproj.webinfo (or vbproj.webinfo) file
which is a hidden file , you'll find there is the url PATH info of your
asp.net project, something like:

<VisualStudioUNCWeb>
<Web URLPath =
"http://localhost/WebApplication1/WebApplication1.csproj" />
</VisualStudioUNCWeb>

the above setting means you need to create an Virtual dir(configure as
Application) under the default site(localhost) in IIS , then put your
project files into that virtual dir. After that, you can directly click the
project file to open your web project.

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)