How to override RUBYLIB for soap4r on shared host?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bothari, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. Bothari

    Bothari Guest

    Group,

    I need to override a default Ruby library for Rails, and I'm having
    some troubles. I'm trying to run a program that consumes a PayPal web
    service using soap4r. Soap4r's last point release (1.5.5) has a bug
    that PayPal trips over, but there is an incremental build since then
    that fixes it. I installed the incremental build on my local box and
    everything works, but when I put the code on the shared server I keep
    getting an error:
    undefined method `add_document_operation' for #<PayPalAPIAAInterface:0x4096b798>

    This indicates I need to upgrade soap4r.

    If soap4r were a gem I could install it in ~/.gems or do freeze_gems,
    but it's not. I have hacked install.rb to install to ~/myruby , but I
    can't figure out how to get ruby to look there first.

    I've tried setting RUBYLIB in the .bashrc and .profile. This works
    for irb, but not for fcgi.

    I have also added this line to my environment.rb and confirmed that it
    adds all the directories to the beginning of $: (and that it is
    spelled right)
    Dir.glob("/home/fidbaadmin/myruby/**"){ |dir| $:[0,0] = dir}

    However, this did not have the desired effect in irb OR fcgi OR when I
    finally just added it at the beginning of the script

    How can I get ruby to look at these new files first? Any hints or
    clues would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    --
    "For a new software system, the requirements will not be completely
    known until after the users have used it." Humphrey's Requirements

    Bothari, Aug 19, 2006