How to pass a C# parameter as an argument of a javascript method ?

PhilTheGap

Hi,

I've tried this:

<asp:Button ID="Save" runat="server" Text="OK" OnClick="ServerSave"
OnClientClick="SaveParam (<% Util.MaxTags %>)" />

but if fails... Util is a C# class, MaxTags a static member.

Any idea ?

Philippe

marss

Hi,

I've tried this:

<asp:Button ID="Save" runat="server" Text="OK" OnClick="ServerSave"
OnClientClick="SaveParam (<% Util.MaxTags %>)" />

but if fails... Util is a C# class, MaxTags a static member.

Any idea ?

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Do it in code:
Save.OnClientClick = string.Format("SaveParam ('{0}');",
Util.MaxTags);

Mykola
http://marss.co.ua

Hans Kesting

PhilTheGap used his keyboard to write :
Hi,

I've tried this:

<asp:Button ID="Save" runat="server" Text="OK" OnClick="ServerSave"
OnClientClick="SaveParam (<% Util.MaxTags %>)" />

but if fails... Util is a C# class, MaxTags a static member.

Any idea ?

Philippe

You might provide a bit more info about the way it "fails"
(compile-time, run-time? error message? behaviour you didn't expect?)

But maybe try <%= Util.MaxTags %>

<% ... %> means "execute this"
<%= ... %> means "replace with this value"

Hans Kesting

Guest

Hi,

I've tried this:

<asp:Button ID="Save" runat="server" Text="OK" OnClick="ServerSave"
OnClientClick="SaveParam (<% Util.MaxTags %>)" />

but if fails... Util is a C# class, MaxTags a static member.

Any idea ?

Philippe

....OnClientClick="SaveParam()" />

void SaveParam()
{
var x = <%=Util.MaxTags%>;

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Phil,

In line express like <%= %> cannot be used in server control's
attribute/property, it can only be embeded in plain html fragment. Here is
a blog article mentioned it:

#From the Suggestion Box: Why can't you use code expressions for
properties?
http://weblogs.asp.net/leftslipper/archive/2007/01/16/Using-code-expressions
-in-properties.aspx

For your scenario, as other member suggested, you can consider define the
javascript function without parameter and manually set the variable in the
javascript function definition like below:

==========
<asp:Control OnClientClick="js_function();" />

<script ....>
function js_function()
{
var param = <%= your server-side code %>
}
</script>
==================

Also, for server control property, it support two kind of inline
expresssion:

1. DataBinding expression <%# %>

You can use it to set attributes such as:

<asp:TextBox ... Text='<%# FunctionName() %>' .../>

the "FunctionName" can be defined in codebehind(public or protected),
however, to make the databind expression get executed, you need to call
"DataBind" method on the control or it s parent control.

Here is former thread I've mentioned something on this:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/brow
se_thread/thread/356a59a676948d03/2eec23b49e63dd96

2. There is a new feature in ASP.NET 2.0 called custom Expression Builder

#Expression Builders in ASP.NET 2.0
http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-Tutorials/Expression-Builder.aspx

#The CodeExpressionBuilder
http://weblogs.asp.net/infinitiesloop/archive/2006/08/09/The-CodeExpressionB
uilder.aspx

You can use such expression builde to embed code expression into server
control's tag to as to intialize control property with some programmtic
values.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead