How to pass a string between ASP pages

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by bonnie.tangyn@gmail.com, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello All

    Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
    ASP pages?
    I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
    h_preview_email.asp

    In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
    content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
    the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".

    Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
    email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
    database.

    I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
    h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
    user clicks the "email preview" button.

    If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
    h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?

    P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
    pages.

    Cheers
    Bon

    , Jul 7, 2006

  2. Mike Brind Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello All
    >
    > Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
    > ASP pages?
    > I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
    > h_preview_email.asp
    >
    > In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
    > content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
    > the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".
    >
    > Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
    > email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
    > database.
    >
    > I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
    > h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
    > user clicks the "email preview" button.
    >
    > If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
    > h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?
    >
    > P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
    > pages.

    You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
    database, text file, hidden form field.

    "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
    you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jul 7, 2006

  3. CJM Guest

    "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message

    > You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
    > database, text file, hidden form field.
    >
    > "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
    > you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.

    Not forgetting Querystrings...

    CJM, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Mike Brind Guest

    CJM wrote:
    > "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
    > > database, text file, hidden form field.
    > >
    > > "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
    > > you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.
    > >

    > Not forgetting Querystrings...

    Not really suitable for "long" strings....

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jul 7, 2006
  5. CJM Guest

    "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message

    > CJM wrote:
    >> "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
    >> > database, text file, hidden form field.
    >> >
    >> > "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
    >> > you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.
    >> >

    >> Not forgetting Querystrings...

    > Not really suitable for "long" strings....

    Begs the question... How long is this particular (piece of) string?

    CJM, Jul 7, 2006
  6. http://www.powerasp.com/content/hintstips/asp-forms.asp

    Kyle Peterson, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Bon Guest

    The string I need to pass to another page is pretty long. I need to
    pass:
    - From email address(es)
    - To email address(es)
    - CC email address(es) [optional]
    - whole email content (the email content is extracted from fields in
    h_email_content.asp page.

    ASP pages flow is:
    h_email_content.asp -> h_process_email.asp -> h_email_preview.asp

    If I use form hidden field, do I put a hidden field in
    h_process_email.asp and put the email content string as a value to the
    hidden field? Then, use Request.Form() to get the value in
    h_email_preview.asp?

    Cheers
    Bon

    Kyle Peterson 寫é“:

    Bon, Jul 8, 2006
  8. <> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
    > ASP pages?
    > I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
    > h_preview_email.asp
    >
    > In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
    > content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
    > the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".
    >
    > Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
    > email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
    > database.
    >
    > I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
    > h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
    > user clicks the "email preview" button.
    >
    > If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
    > h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?
    >
    > P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
    > pages.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Bon

    Something confuses me about this. What does h_preview_email.asp return? a
    html rendering of the email?
    If so why in what way is it materially different from what can already be
    seen in h_email_content.asp?
    I guess it confuses me that you see the need for a preview at all??

    Anthony Jones, Jul 8, 2006