How to play sound in Python?

Bill Dandreta

I posted a message ("Help with my 1st Tkinter program") a few days ago
complaining that Python did not have any built in basic cross platform
sound capability. I was wrong (at least partly). Python comes with some
sound playing ability for some platforms.

Since no one responded to my post, I assume the capability is not well
known so I will post a code snippet from my practice program that
demonstrates how I play a sound file with Python on both Windows and
Linux. It may save someone else some time.

The winsound module lets you play .wav files under windows. The
ossaudiodev module in combination with the wave module lets you play
..wav files under Linux (and some other nix's as well).

===========================
file='tada.wav'
if platform.startswith('win'):
from winsound import PlaySound, SND_FILENAME, SND_ASYNC
PlaySound(file, SND_FILENAME|SND_ASYNC)
elif platform.find('linux')>-1:
from wave import open as waveOpen
from ossaudiodev import open as ossOpen
s = waveOpen('tada.wav','rb')
(nc,sw,fr,nf,comptype, compname) = s.getparams( )
dsp = ossOpen('/dev/dsp','w')
try:
from ossaudiodev import AFMT_S16_NE
except ImportError:
if byteorder == "little":
AFMT_S16_NE = ossaudiodev.AFMT_S16_LE
else:
AFMT_S16_NE = ossaudiodev.AFMT_S16_BE
dsp.setparameters(AFMT_S16_NE, nc, fr)
data = s.readframes(nf)
s.close()
dsp.write(data)
dsp.close()
===============================

Bill

Dmitry Borisov

Bill Dandreta said:
I posted a message ("Help with my 1st Tkinter program") a few days ago
complaining that Python did not have any built in basic cross platform
sound capability. I was wrong (at least partly). Python comes with some
sound playing ability for some platforms.

Take a look: http://pymedia.org/
Dmitry/

bearophile

Bill Dandreta:
The winsound module lets you play .wav files under windows.

Thank you.
You can also create "on the fly" memory-mapped wav files (with wave
and mmap modules, I think), and play them.

How to use the flag SND_PURGE for WAVs loaded from filename or memory
mapped?

Bear hugs,
Bearophile

Johannes Nix

just a quick note....

Bill Dandreta said:
I posted a message ("Help with my 1st Tkinter program") a few days ago
complaining that Python did not have any built in basic cross platform
sound capability. I was wrong (at least partly). Python comes with
some sound playing ability for some platforms.

I remember that somebody has implemented Python bindings for the
portaudio library, which is a cross-platform library for real-time
audio.

Johannes