How to play sound in Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bill Dandreta, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. I posted a message ("Help with my 1st Tkinter program") a few days ago
    complaining that Python did not have any built in basic cross platform
    sound capability. I was wrong (at least partly). Python comes with some
    sound playing ability for some platforms.

    Since no one responded to my post, I assume the capability is not well
    known so I will post a code snippet from my practice program that
    demonstrates how I play a sound file with Python on both Windows and
    Linux. It may save someone else some time.

    The winsound module lets you play .wav files under windows. The
    ossaudiodev module in combination with the wave module lets you play
    ..wav files under Linux (and some other nix's as well).

    ===========================
    file='tada.wav'
    if platform.startswith('win'):
    from winsound import PlaySound, SND_FILENAME, SND_ASYNC
    PlaySound(file, SND_FILENAME|SND_ASYNC)
    elif platform.find('linux')>-1:
    from wave import open as waveOpen
    from ossaudiodev import open as ossOpen
    s = waveOpen('tada.wav','rb')
    (nc,sw,fr,nf,comptype, compname) = s.getparams( )
    dsp = ossOpen('/dev/dsp','w')
    try:
    from ossaudiodev import AFMT_S16_NE
    except ImportError:
    if byteorder == "little":
    AFMT_S16_NE = ossaudiodev.AFMT_S16_LE
    else:
    AFMT_S16_NE = ossaudiodev.AFMT_S16_BE
    dsp.setparameters(AFMT_S16_NE, nc, fr)
    data = s.readframes(nf)
    s.close()
    dsp.write(data)
    dsp.close()
    ===============================

    Bill

    Bill Dandreta, Oct 23, 2004

  2. "Bill Dandreta" <> wrote in message
    > I posted a message ("Help with my 1st Tkinter program") a few days ago
    > complaining that Python did not have any built in basic cross platform
    > sound capability. I was wrong (at least partly). Python comes with some
    > sound playing ability for some platforms.

    Take a look: http://pymedia.org/
    Dmitry/

    Dmitry Borisov, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Bill Dandreta

    bearophile Guest

    Bill Dandreta:
    >The winsound module lets you play .wav files under windows.

    Thank you.
    You can also create "on the fly" memory-mapped wav files (with wave
    and mmap modules, I think), and play them.

    How to use the flag SND_PURGE for WAVs loaded from filename or memory
    mapped?

    Bear hugs,
    Bearophile

    bearophile, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Bill Dandreta

    Johannes Nix Guest

    just a quick note....

    Bill Dandreta <> writes:

    > I posted a message ("Help with my 1st Tkinter program") a few days ago
    > complaining that Python did not have any built in basic cross platform
    > sound capability. I was wrong (at least partly). Python comes with
    > some sound playing ability for some platforms.

    I remember that somebody has implemented Python bindings for the
    portaudio library, which is a cross-platform library for real-time
    audio.

    Johannes

    Johannes Nix, Nov 11, 2004