    Should the user hit the back button, the pop will be displayed. Is
    there a better, cleaner way to determine when the user has left a
    site?

    John Hoge, May 25, 2004

  2. John Hoge

    Randy Webb Guest

    John Hoge wrote:

    > I would like to open an exit pop when a user leaves my site, but I
    > don't want to the back button to trigger the pop if the user remains
    > in my site.

    So, when they decide to leave your site, you either want to ask them if
    they are sure "Are you sure you really want to leave my site", you want
    to popup an advertisement "Hey, you left my site, will you buy
    something?", or, you want to popup something else? Nice.....

    > I'm using the onUnload attribute of the Body tag to do this. All
    > internal links set a variable of inSite to true on their onClick event
    > handler, so the exit pop will not open if the user follows an internal
    > link.

    I wont see the popup either way. Whether onSite or offSite. My popup
    blocker ensures that I won't see it.

    > Should the user hit the back button, the pop will be displayed. Is
    > there a better, cleaner way to determine when the user has left a
    > site?

    Yes, stop trying.

    What happens if I open your main page, then I navigate to a sub-page,
    and then type in the URL to the main page again. Should I get the popup?
    I didn't navigate away from the page via a link, yet I would get the
    popup even though I am still on your site?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, May 25, 2004

  3. John Hoge

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>, jhoge123
    @yahoo.com enlightened us with...
    > I would like to open an exit pop when a user leaves my site, but I
    > don't want to the back button to trigger the pop if the user remains
    > in my site.

    God, I love my blocker software for IE and my option to turn off that
    nonsense with Netscape and Opera.

    Why in the world would you want to annoy people like that?
    Either you're being irritating on purpose or you've coded something that
    doesn't scale nicely and clean up after itself. Either way, stop that.
    If your code is the problem, share. We can probably help you fix it.

    ~kaeli~
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what's it's all about?
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, May 26, 2004