How to post back the data by selecting a value from drop down list

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Kuna, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Kuna

    Kuna Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a problem in populating data by selecting a value from a drop
    down list I do not have the sample code for this, so I am extremly
    sorry but I can explain my problem.

    I have a HTML form and I will convert the form to a .pl (PERL) script.
    In the form I have a drop down list which will have the values 1 to 5
    to allow me enter that much number of information in some trext fields
    like First Name:, Last Name:, Phone Number:. Hence I need the form will
    reload after selecting a value from the drop down only it suppose to
    generate the fields according to the numbers I had selected. So pease
    help me, its urgent for me. I will be grateful to you all.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Kuna :)

    Kuna, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Kuna

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Kuna wrote:
    > I have a problem in populating data by selecting a value from a drop
    > down list I do not have the sample code for this

    That is nonsensical. If you have a problem that you're currently
    working on, you have the code. You say as much later on - that you
    "have a HTML form".

    > , so I am extremly
    > sorry but I can explain my problem.
    >
    > I have a HTML form and I will convert the form to a .pl (PERL) script.

    HTML cannot be converted to Perl. That is also nonsensical. Do you
    mean that the action of the form is a CGI script written in Perl?

    > In the form I have a drop down list which will have the values 1 to 5
    > to allow me enter that much number of information in some trext fields
    > like First Name:, Last Name:, Phone Number:. Hence I need the form will
    > reload after selecting a value from the drop down only it suppose to
    > generate the fields according to the numbers I had selected.

    This has NOTHING to do with Perl. It has everything to do with HTML
    and Javascript. If you want something to happen client-side when you
    select an option on the <select> tag, you need to use Javascript.
    That's true whether what you want to happen is either A) populate or
    manipulate the form inputs directly or B) submit the form to the CGI
    script, which will process the posted data and output a new HTML form.

    > So pease
    > help me, its urgent for me. I will be grateful to you all.

    This kind of notation is likely to get you *less* help, not more. An
    urgency for you is a failure to plan on your part, not an emergency on
    ours.

    To maximize the help you can get from this group, please read the
    Posting Guidelines, posted here twice each week.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Kuna

    Kuna Guest

    Paul Lalli wrote:
    > Kuna wrote:
    > > I have a problem in populating data by selecting a value from a drop
    > > down list I do not have the sample code for this

    > That is nonsensical. If you have a problem that you're currently
    > working on, you have the code. You say as much later on - that you
    > "have a HTML form".
    >
    > > , so I am extremly
    > > sorry but I can explain my problem.
    > >
    > > I have a HTML form and I will convert the form to a .pl (PERL) script.

    > HTML cannot be converted to Perl. That is also nonsensical. Do you
    > mean that the action of the form is a CGI script written in Perl?
    >
    > > In the form I have a drop down list which will have the values 1 to 5
    > > to allow me enter that much number of information in some trext fields
    > > like First Name:, Last Name:, Phone Number:. Hence I need the form will
    > > reload after selecting a value from the drop down only it suppose to
    > > generate the fields according to the numbers I had selected.

    > This has NOTHING to do with Perl. It has everything to do with HTML
    > and Javascript. If you want something to happen client-side when you
    > select an option on the <select> tag, you need to use Javascript.
    > That's true whether what you want to happen is either A) populate or
    > manipulate the form inputs directly or B) submit the form to the CGI
    > script, which will process the posted data and output a new HTML form.
    >
    > > So pease
    > > help me, its urgent for me. I will be grateful to you all.

    > This kind of notation is likely to get you *less* help, not more. An
    > urgency for you is a failure to plan on your part, not an emergency on
    > ours.
    >
    > To maximize the help you can get from this group, please read the
    > Posting Guidelines, posted here twice each week.
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    Thanks Paul,

    I got your point that we can only use JavaScript for this purpose. I
    was new to these so I am not familiar with all those things so I am
    sorry again for the less information I had provided. I will must go
    through the posting guidelines before posting my next post.

    Thanks again,
    Kuna :)

    Kuna, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Re: How to post back the data by selecting a value from drop downlist

    Kuna wrote:
    > I got your point that we can only use JavaScript for this purpose.

    That's not what Paul told you.

    Actually I just posted some Perl code at

    > I will must go
    > through the posting guidelines before posting my next post.

    Yeah, you'd better do that. But even more imporant is that you stop
    multi-posting: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Nov 20, 2006
  5. Kuna <> wrote:

    > I have a problem in populating data by selecting a value from a drop
    > down list I do not have the sample code for this,

    Why not?

    > So pease
    > help me, its urgent for me.

    I was going to help you, but since it was posted several hours ago,
    and it was urgent, you are probably already dead, so there doesn't
    seem to be much point.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Nov 21, 2006
  6. Kuna

    Kuna Guest

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    > Kuna wrote:
    > > I got your point that we can only use JavaScript for this purpose.

    > That's not what Paul told you.
    >
    > Actually I just posted some Perl code at
    > http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread566345.html
    >
    > > I will must go
    > > through the posting guidelines before posting my next post.

    > Yeah, you'd better do that. But even more imporant is that you stop
    > multi-posting: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html
    >
    > --
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Hi Gunnar,

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for the solution of my
    problem with some reliable answer. So I had posted in different forums
    in your words multi-posting. I was not really trieng to do any kind of
    nonsence things but my requirement makes me to do so. Sorry again to
    all my members if I had done any thing wrong.

    Thanks again,
    Kuna

    Kuna, Nov 21, 2006