How to prepare for the SCJP Java Certification?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steve, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi;

    I have started preparing for the SCJP 1.4 exam.

    I have read chapters 1 - 9 and have taken very thorough notes ( I
    filled up a binder ).

    I am now pondering how to prepare for the exam and I would like to
    hear people's thoughts about some things I am thinking.

    To do well on the test the logical choice would be to practice what
    you are being tested on.

    Given this, I think the way most people would think to study ...simple
    memorization of Java rules....will not help much as that is not what
    is being tested.

    It seems to me the test is really about testing a person's ability to
    recognize the rules of Java and violations of the rules of Java, as
    manifested in examples.

    Memorization of the rules will help, but it seems like the bulk of the
    preparation should be practicing recognizing the rules of Java and
    violation of those rules.

    To this end, quiz questions in the study guide and taking practice
    exams will help, but these things seem to be in limited supply.

    I was thinking that I could write code for each rule that conforms to
    the rules and violates the rules in as many ways as I can think to
    write.

    I'm hoping this will strengthen my trick question answering
    ability :).

    Making multiple as well as many derivations of these rules in code
    could take a massive amount of time.

    I'm hoping that this will only be a problem with the first few
    chapters. It seems like the first two chapters are very, very rule
    dense and then later chapters should be less time consuming to study.

    Do people think that is correct?

    What do people think of my appraisal of the exam and how to study for
    it?

    Anyone have any useful tips to add?

    I generally do bad at trick question types of tests, so I want to
    prepare smartly....as well as hard.

    Steve, Mar 15, 2007

  2. On Mar 15, 5:14 am, "Steve" <> wrote:
    > Hi;
    >
    > I have started preparing for the SCJP 1.4 exam.
    >
    > I have read chapters 1 - 9 and have taken very thorough notes ( I
    > filled up a binder ).
    >
    > I am now pondering how to prepare for the exam and I would like to
    > hear people's thoughts about some things I am thinking.
    >
    > To do well on the test the logical choice would be to practice what
    > you are being tested on.
    >
    > Given this, I think the way most people would think to study ...simple
    > memorization of Java rules....will not help much as that is not what
    > is being tested.
    >
    > It seems to me the test is really about testing a person's ability to
    > recognize the rules of Java and violations of the rules of Java, as
    > manifested in examples.
    >
    > Memorization of the rules will help, but it seems like the bulk of the
    > preparation should be practicing recognizing the rules of Java and
    > violation of those rules.
    >
    > To this end, quiz questions in the study guide and taking practice
    > exams will help, but these things seem to be in limited supply.
    >
    > I was thinking that I could write code for each rule that conforms to
    > the rules and violates the rules in as many ways as I can think to
    > write.
    >
    > I'm hoping this will strengthen my trick question answering
    > ability :).
    >
    > Making multiple as well as many derivations of these rules in code
    > could take a massive amount of time.
    >
    > I'm hoping that this will only be a problem with the first few
    > chapters. It seems like the first two chapters are very, very rule
    > dense and then later chapters should be less time consuming to study.
    >
    > Do people think that is correct?
    >
    > What do people think of my appraisal of the exam and how to study for
    > it?
    >
    > Anyone have any useful tips to add?
    >
    > I generally do bad at trick question types of tests, so I want to
    > prepare smartly....as well as hard.

    Hi,

    Well take mock tests regularly to know to ur grade. There lot of
    websites to take mock test..do a search in google for SCJP mock exams,
    u will get lot of websites....u can take this exams 5 days before the
    actual exam date so that the grade that u will get will be your actual
    score....

    Moin

    Proton Projects - Moin, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Steve

    Lew Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi;
    >
    > I have started preparing for the SCJP 1.4 exam.

    Please do not multi-post. If you feel the need to reach multiple newsgroups,
    cross-post instead, preferably with followup set to one group. This unifies
    your thread and avoids alienating the people you are soliciting for conversation.

    -- Lew

    Lew, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Steve

    Guest

    > I am now pondering how to prepare for the exam and I would like to
    > hear people's thoughts about some things I am thinking.

    For the best chance of passing, you can purchase the on-line practice
    exam. It costs almost as much as the real exam but from experience the
    questions are very similiar to the real exam.

    http://frustrationsofaprogrammer.blogspot.com/

    , Mar 15, 2007
  5. Steve

    Lew Guest

    wrote:
    >> I am now pondering how to prepare for the exam and I would like to
    >> hear people's thoughts about some things I am thinking.
    >>

    > For the best chance of passing, you can purchase the on-line practice
    > exam. It costs almost as much as the real exam but from experience the
    > questions are very similiar to the real exam.
    >

    > http://frustrationsofaprogrammer.blogspot.com/

    Do you have a financial interest in this site?

    -- Lew

    Lew, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Steve <> wrote:
    > I have started preparing for the SCJP 1.4 exam.

    Imho, taking a "1.4" exam (now, that java 6.0 is released)
    is a waste of money and time.

    Have a look at what changed in 1.5 or 1.6 (aka 5.0 and 6.0)
    and take a more recent exam.

    PS: I'm not sure, whether 1.6 exams already exist...

    Andreas Leitgeb, Mar 15, 2007
  7. Steve

    Guest

    On Mar 15, 11:24 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >> I am now pondering how to prepare for the exam and I would like to
    > >> hear people's thoughts about some things I am thinking.

    > > For the best chance of passing, you can purchase the on-line practice
    > > exam. It costs almost as much as the real exam but from experience the
    > > questions are very similiar to the real exam.

    > >http://frustrationsofaprogrammer.blogspot.com/

    > Do you have a financial interest in this site?
    >
    > -- Lew

    Are you referring to my blog ? I don't see how I could have a
    commercial interest in the site since there are no adds and nothing on
    offer. I was purely offering advice on how to pass the exam. I was
    referring Sun's on-line practice exam and I don't work for Sun.

    , Mar 15, 2007
  8. Steve

    Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > Are you referring to my blog ? I don't see how I could have a
    > commercial interest in the site since there are no adds and nothing on
    > offer. I was purely offering advice on how to pass the exam. I was
    > referring Sun's on-line practice exam and I don't work for Sun.

    I thought from the context that you were saying that there were practice exams
    for sale at the cited URL. I did not realize that you were referring to two
    different "on-line" sources.

    -- Lew

    Lew, Mar 16, 2007