How to prevent Mozilla using a link if a wrong number is in an input box

Stefan Mueller

In my example the focus should only jump to textbox2 if you press the tab
key and if '11' is in textbox1. That works fine.
However if you enter e.g. '12' in textbox1 and click on 'Link', Mozilla
shows the alert 'Wrong numer' but also jumps to 'www.google.com'.
Opera and IE don't do that what's in my opinion the correct behavior.

<script type = 'text/javascript'>
function test(object) {
if (object.value == 11) {
return (true);
}
else {
alert("Wrong number");
return (false);
</script>
<form name = "my_form" action = "" method = "post" accept-charset =
"iso-8859-1">
<input type = "text" name = "my_textbox1" onBlur = 'if
(!test(document.my_form.my_textbox1))
{setTimeout("document.my_form.my_textbox1.focus();", 1);}'>
<input type = "text" name = "my_textbox2">
</form>

How can I prevent Mozilla from jumping to 'www.google.com' if the value in
the input box is wrong?
Stefan

Chris Beall

Stefan said:
[...]

Stefan,

Ideally, here's what the user should see:

- Textbox1, available for input.
- Textbox2, available for input.
- Link, disabled (perhaps presented in gray or otherwise subdued) and
not in the tabbing order.

When the user puts the cursor in textbox1, the background remains or
becomes neutral, i.e. the same as when the page was initially displayed.
When the user removes the cursor from textbox1, if the box contains
'11', the background remains neutral; otherwise the background becomes
red (to indicate an error). Tabbing to textbox2 is NOT inhibited.
Optionally, a message appears, "field must contain 11".

When the user puts the cursor in textbox2, the background remains or
becomes neutral, i.e. the same as when the page was initially displayed.
When the user removes the cursor from textbox2, if the box contains a
valid value (you didn't specify what criteria are involved), the
background remains neutral; otherwise the background becomes red (to
indicate an error). Tabbing to textbox1 is NOT inhibited. Optionally,
a message appears, "field must not be blank" (or whatever is appropriate).

At any time that textbox1 contains '11' and textbox2 contains a valid
value, the link is enabled and added to the tabbing sequence following
textbox2.

I assume your actual situation is a bit more complex, since it makes no
sense to have a textbox which will only accept a single value.

The above requires that you be able to check the field value each time a
change is made, even if the cursor stays within that field. Look at the
onkeypress or onkeyup attributes as a way to drive your validity checking.

And not everyone has JavaScript enabled...

Chris Beall

P.S. I see no reason to criticize Mozilla's behavior here.

Stefan Mueller

I reprogrammed my whole web page with your great hints.
I never thought about doing it like you told me. But it's of course the much
better approach.

Many thanks
Stefan

Jim Moe

Stefan said:
I reprogrammed my whole web page with your great hints.
I never thought about doing it like you told me. But it's of course the much
better approach.

Many thanks
<blush>. Shucks, 'tweren't nothing'. You are so welcome.
Umm. What are you talking about?