How to print invoice (text based) from JSP/JSF ?

xtanto

Hi All,

I am developing a web based application with JSF/JSP. There is a
requirement to print Invoice on a dot matrix printer from the
application .

I can do that with Crystal XI but Java Report Component can only export
to PDF or RTF, but the size of the report is too big for our narrow
bandwidth.

So I am looking for a way to produced an Invoice to print in Text
based. How can I do that ?

Thank you for your help,
xtanto

Mark Space

Hi All,

I am developing a web based application with JSF/JSP. There is a
requirement to print Invoice on a dot matrix printer from the
application .

I can do that with Crystal XI but Java Report Component can only export
to PDF or RTF, but the size of the report is too big for our narrow
bandwidth.

So I am looking for a way to produced an Invoice to print in Text
based. How can I do that ?

Thank you for your help,
xtanto

If you have an executing JSP script, can't you just stream the report to
a file or to a printing service like lpr? Then let the print subsystem
deal with printing or transmission over a slow link.

If you're asking for an automagic way of doing this, sorry, I don't know.

Hmm, if you print to RTF, then use a (local) JSP or Java app to remove
all the formatting, images, etc., would you have what you want? Just a
thought. Java does have an HTML/XML parser that would be useful reading
an RTF file, I think.

Andrew Thompson

I am developing a web based application with JSF/JSP. There is a
requirement to print Invoice on a dot matrix printer from the
application .

At where? The client's place, or yours?
I can do that with Crystal XI but Java Report Component can only export
to PDF or RTF, but the size of the report is too big for our narrow
bandwidth.

That suggests 'the client'. The usual method is to produce an
HTML page suitable for printing, and leave it to the user/client
to print it (or save it to disk).

OTOH, I cannot imagine that RTF with minimal formatting
would be much larger (in bytes) than the HTML.

Andrew T.