How to print Mailing Address Labels ?

Stephen Riek

Is there a Java package or something that will ease the printing
of mailing address labels ? I have a few thousand addresses stored
in a database and would like end users to be able to print labels.

At the moment, we do an export to CSV from the database, import
the CSV into Excel, and then do a mailmerge with MS Word. As you
can imagine, this is not very efficient.

I'm wondering whether I can allow users to do it much more readily
using Java. Do I need to create a desktop application for users,
or would a simple servlet/JSP work ? (I don't think that HTML is
precise enough for labelling).

Better yet, is there any Java package that has done all of the
calculation of label layout to text size to paper size, etc ?

Thank you very much,

Stephen