How to Program for Cell Phones?

samadams_2006

Hello,

I'm new to this topic, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to
put my questions, but here goes. I'm a software developer and am
interested in writing some applications for cell phones, but I don't
really know much more than that. Can anyone give me some advice on how
to proceed? Basically:

1) What is the best software/cell phone platform to write for in terms
of a large audience and growth potential? I hear a lot about Java for
Cell Phones? Is this the best option, and what "versions", etc. would
I need?

2) Since I don't need an actual cell phone service contract for this
purpose, where could I purchase a "used" and "cheap" sell phone that I
can run and test this software out on?

3) Are there any good books or Web Sites where I can learn about the
pros/cons of programming for a cell phone?

4) Any other "advice" would be appreciated.

Thanks...

dashing

Asalm o alikum

you can use J2me toolkit for this and you can also find some
tutorial of it on the internet

thnkyou

Darryl L. Pierce

1) What is the best software/cell phone platform to write for in terms
of a large audience and growth potential? I hear a lot about Java for
Cell Phones? Is this the best option, and what "versions", etc. would
I need?

There is no "best" phone, really. Each has its strengths and weaknesses
depending on what you want. Java provides for the best portability between
a larger number of handsets, but doesn't give you the low-level access to
features that Symbian gives. It depends on what you're trying to do.
2) Since I don't need an actual cell phone service contract for this
purpose, where could I purchase a "used" and "cheap" sell phone that I
can run and test this software out on?

Ask around.
3) Are there any good books or Web Sites where I can learn about the
pros/cons of programming for a cell phone?

My website <http://www.mcpierce.org/javamefaq.html> can help you with some
common problems/questions. I'd recommend _Enterprise J2ME_ as a starting
book for JavaME development.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]>
Homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com/

Darryl L. Pierce

Roedy said:

Roedy, your website is still incorrect, something I pointed out a long time
ago. JavaME is *not* "a stripped down Java with special classes useful to
cellphones". It is a completely separate class of VMs with a common
*subset* of APIs that are useful across VMs and specific APIs for vertical
product lines. Your description makes it sound like there are features
missing from it when it's really a case of only including what's
*necessary*.