how to program virtex 4?

Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I want to download a simple VHDL program to FPGA Xilinx Virtex-4. I am using ISE 10.1 and iMPACT 10.1. the code is very simple. it is an AND gate that works at clock high
------------------------------
process(clk)
begin
if (clk'event and clk = '1') then
y <= a and b;
end if;
end process;
------------------------------
I am very new in FPGA programing. the behavioral,post-translate,post-map and post-route simulation works fine. I just want to know the steps to download the program to FPGA.

I have few questions as well:

1. How will I assign me signals (clk, a, b, y) to the ports/pins of FPGA?
2. How should I give the inputs (clk, a, b)? Can I do this using switches of the FPGA board? How to connect the FPGA ports to the switches?
3. How should I take output (y)? Should I use the LED of the board? How to connect output port of FPGA with the LED?
4. Do I have to code any .ucf file manually? How to code .ucf for this simple program?

Someone may think these questions very childinsh. But as I am very new in this field and getting no advisor/instructor to help me, these are very crucial to me. Hope to get help from you soon.

Best regards,

Pantho

Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Hi Pantho

Sorry I can't help you with the Virtex 4 - but the principles the same as for programming a Spartan 3.
You can find many documents at the net giving you startes help - in fact will you find most of this in the help menu of your programming software.

But if you like can you visit this page (and others):
http://www.jjmk.dk/MMMI/Exercises/01_Intro/No1/exer1_1.htm

Your welcome
Jeppe

Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
example ucf file required

Hello,
I am using Xilinx Virtex-4 LX MB Development Kit, FPGA is Virtex-4 xc4vlx60-ffg668. Can you plz tell me how i get the example ucf for the board?

Thanks in advance

pantho

Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
1) Your should be able to download this from the site where you got the kit
2) If you got the documentation (hard to find at the net) can you make the UCF with the Assing package pin option at your ISE 10.1

Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Thank you everyone.

I have successfully downloaded the program to the FPGA board.

Thanks again

Pantho