How to properly center this menu

Jonathan N. Little

Your style sheets are not loading for me. Took a long time for this
simple page to download. Something funky with your dyna-IP?

Yogi_Bear_79

Jonathan N. Little said:
Your style sheets are not loading for me. Took a long time for this simple
page to download. Something funky with your dyna-IP?

Just to test please try once more. I had one of the style sheets open in
dreamweaver, I wasn't activly editing it at the time, just had it open, want
to see if that was the problem.

dorayme

"Yogi_Bear_79 said:

Still no go. Once it loaded as plain html and was struggling to
get the rest, probably - now that Jonathan mentions it - the css
sheet...

Ah now it has loaded, phew, took it's time in Safari. In FF it
simply times out (must have a setting set somewhere, a reasonable
one!)

What is the problem about centering, I have forgotten? The nav
list?

<ul style="width:11em;margin:auto;"> etc might do it. Tweak the
em based on your longest text link. Move my example inline style
to the navlist id.

I am sure you don't need all those div wrappers here? But maybe
you have your reasons. navcontainer and menu and ul?

Yogi_Bear_79

dorayme said:
Still no go. Once it loaded as plain html and was struggling to
get the rest, probably - now that Jonathan mentions it - the css
sheet...

Ah now it has loaded, phew, took it's time in Safari. In FF it
simply times out (must have a setting set somewhere, a reasonable
one!)

What is the problem about centering, I have forgotten? The nav
list?

<ul style="width:11em;margin:auto;"> etc might do it. Tweak the
em based on your longest text link. Move my example inline style
to the navlist id.

I am sure you don't need all those div wrappers here? But maybe
you have your reasons. navcontainer and menu and ul?

Ok, I moved it to here http://www.hollywoodoil.com/test/index.html should
load better. I had to make a few quick changes becasue that server doesn't
seem to allow SSI & shtmls. I may not need allof the DIV wrappers. I am a
Systems Admin by trade, this is more of a learning thing for me, by far not
my forte!

Yogi_Bear_79

dorayme said:
Still no go. Once it loaded as plain html and was struggling to
get the rest, probably - now that Jonathan mentions it - the css
sheet...

Ah now it has loaded, phew, took it's time in Safari. In FF it
simply times out (must have a setting set somewhere, a reasonable
one!)

What is the problem about centering, I have forgotten? The nav
list?

<ul style="width:11em;margin:auto;"> etc might do it. Tweak the
em based on your longest text link. Move my example inline style
to the navlist id.

I am sure you don't need all those div wrappers here? But maybe
you have your reasons. navcontainer and menu and ul?

I tried <ul style="width:11em;margin:auto;"> like so:

#navcontainer ul
{
background-color:#006699;
color: White;
float: left;
font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 0.7em;
width:11em;
margin:auto;
}

It turned it into a vertical list instead. BTW, I have been able to get rid
of at least one more set of div tags (thanks for the tip!)

dorayme

"Yogi_Bear_79 said:
I tried <ul style="width:11em;margin:auto;"> like so:

#navcontainer ul
{
background-color:#006699;
color: White;
float: left;
font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 0.7em;
width:11em;
margin:auto;
}

It turned it into a vertical list instead.

Not on the basis of my suggestion alone. You are obviously doing
something elsewhere to make the list inline (which is not
default). You don't say whether this is good or bad for you. It
certainly looks more appropriate for the snippet of site I am
seeing.

OK, it is centred now, what more do you want?

I can't get into the complex stuff you have in the html and
scripts and everything. I cannot imagine why you are floating
header left and millions of other things like this? I can just
suggest here to be rid of the first left border in the inline
list as this is not needed for a separator between links.

If you do not want it in line then why have you got

#navcontainer ul li { display: inline; }

in your css?

Want some advice? Stop now! And start again with something you
can control. Remove all floats, all positioning altogether, and
overflows and every goddamn fancy pants thing you can think of.
Don't use .7 em, normal people are not teenagers.