How to properly version source code... ?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by -Lost, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    That pretty much sums it up. I am looking for information or tips on
    how to version your source code.

    What I have always done is this:

    major_build.minor_build.daily_build

    major_build - I have never been involved with an application requiring a
    major build.

    minor_build - When I have coded the application to the point of
    warranting a release, or a new release.

    daily_build - Anytime I add a new feature, fix a bug, or finish a TODO
    item. I do not however increase this number if I add a TODO. I do
    however add it to a HISTORY log.

    I'd love to know what professional programmers and commercial software
    engineers (as in, anyone who worked in a collaborative commercial
    project where version information may have been set by the company) do.

    Thanks.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.
    -Lost, Jun 11, 2007

  2. -Lost

    anders Guest

    On 11 Juni, 08:01, -Lost <> wrote:
    > That pretty much sums it up. I am looking for information or tips on
    > how to version your source code.
    >
    > What I have always done is this:
    >
    > major_build.minor_build.daily_build
    >
    > major_build - I have never been involved with an application requiring a
    > major build.
    >
    > minor_build - When I have coded the application to the point of
    > warranting a release, or a new release.
    >
    > daily_build - Anytime I add a new feature, fix a bug, or finish a TODO
    > item. I do not however increase this number if I add a TODO. I do
    > however add it to a HISTORY log.
    >
    > I'd love to know what professional programmers and commercial software
    > engineers (as in, anyone who worked in a collaborative commercial
    > project where version information may have been set by the company) do.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > -Lost
    > kidding. No I am not.
    >
    > --
    > -Lost
    > kidding. No I am not.

    In my company we use
    Major, minor avn ev status

    Major
    Bigger changes, adding stuff that change produkt och adds nu way of
    use it.

    Minor,
    relases buggrelase, new small fixes.
    (Som fixes sends direct to customer and ev become a beta relase

    Status
    r<n> for relase ec r1 = First release
    b<n> beta relase eg b1 = Beta no 1

    Alpha and night builds never sends to customer so this don't have any
    numbers.

    // Anders
    anders, Jun 11, 2007