How to protect site from fraud votings.

Arun

We have a Voting Poll system on our website where any site visitor can vote.
we want to make sure that he does not cheat by submitting his vote multiple
time or in any others ways.

We suggested that the visitor should be registered member of the site, this
can control fraud voting. But we are not happy with this idea of registered
user.

Can any one suggest any mechanism to avoid fraud voting?

Regards

Arun,

Poppy

You could always check their IP address.

When someone votes you write that away. However most people wont have
static IP addresses but it would stop someone submitting multiple votes in
the same session.

Oscar Thornell

Put a cookie on the client if they have voted...

if(!Cookie)
Ok to vote...
else
Appropriate message...

:)

Not a 100% bullit proof system but it should work...

/Oscar

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Having the user log in is the only sure way you can guarantee no cheating.
Dynamic IP addresses can change fairly frequently, and some people share IP
addresses through proxy servers & such so this will not stop someone who is
determined to cheat.
You can use cookies, but people can delete cookies and/or disable them so it
is not perfect either.

George Ter-Saakov

How is the login will help?
Person can always create multiple login accounts.

George.

George Ter-Saakov

How does the login help?
Person can always create multiple login accounts.

George.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Well you can verify the person's identity in any number of ways if they have
an account with you.
You can use cookies and compare names, email address, IP addresses, phone
numbers, etc. with existing user accounts to help prevent multiple accounts
being created by the same person.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP