How to put an external resource bundle file on the classpath inStruts?

Discussion in 'Java' started by John, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi all,
    usually for internationalization I use the resource bundle properties
    and use the <bean:message> Struts tag for the different Locales.
    Normally this is internal to the web application (everything resides
    within the *.ear file).
    However, because of a change in the business requirement, I have to
    externalize all *.properties file - they cannot be part of the web
    application, but must be located in an external location (on a Solaris
    machine).

    Since all my JSPs uses <bean:message> I should find a solution for the
    problem that the Struts framework will no longer find the *.properties
    files under the WEB-INF/classes directory.

    Since I want to keep the JSPs as they are, I thought maybe there is a
    way to load all the *.properties files on the classpath, when the
    application starts:

    let's say all properties are located in

    /etc/apps/i18n

    Now: I have a single file that initializes all kind of application
    specific variables. One of these variables could be the key that maps
    the directory of all *.properties. And now my trouble begins: I don't
    know how, and if it is possible to load the value of that key and put
    the files on the web application classpath, so that Struts can use its
    internationalization mechanism.

    Does anybody has a tip or hint how to do this? Maybe with a piece of
    code please....

    Thank you very much for your answers,
    John

    John, Apr 16, 2008

  2. Re: How to put an external resource bundle file on the classpathin Struts?

    John wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > usually for internationalization I use the resource bundle properties
    > and use the <bean:message> Struts tag for the different Locales.
    > Normally this is internal to the web application (everything resides
    > within the *.ear file).
    > However, because of a change in the business requirement, I have to
    > externalize all *.properties file - they cannot be part of the web
    > application, but must be located in an external location (on a Solaris
    > machine).
    >
    > Since all my JSPs uses <bean:message> I should find a solution for the
    > problem that the Struts framework will no longer find the *.properties
    > files under the WEB-INF/classes directory.
    >
    > Since I want to keep the JSPs as they are, I thought maybe there is a
    > way to load all the *.properties files on the classpath, when the
    > application starts:
    >
    > let's say all properties are located in
    >
    > /etc/apps/i18n
    >
    > Now: I have a single file that initializes all kind of application
    > specific variables. One of these variables could be the key that maps
    > the directory of all *.properties. And now my trouble begins: I don't
    > know how, and if it is possible to load the value of that key and put
    > the files on the web application classpath, so that Struts can use its
    > internationalization mechanism.
    >
    > Does anybody has a tip or hint how to do this? Maybe with a piece of
    > code please....
    >
    > Thank you very much for your answers,
    > John

    Sounds like a strange thing to do but if you must :)) .. what server
    are you using? Which version of struts?

    Abhijat Vatsyayan, Apr 17, 2008

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Apr 17, 1:38 am, Abhijat Vatsyayan <> wrote:
    > John wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > usually for internationalization I use the resource bundle properties
    > > and use the <bean:message> Struts tag for the different Locales.
    > > Normally this is internal to the web application (everything resides
    > > within the *.ear file).
    > > However, because of a change in the business requirement, I have to
    > > externalize all *.properties file - they cannot be part of the web
    > > application, but must be located in an external location (on a Solaris
    > > machine).

    > > Since all my JSPs uses <bean:message> I should find a solution for the
    > > problem that the Struts framework will no longer find the *.properties
    > > files under the WEB-INF/classes directory.

    > > Since I want to keep the JSPs as they are, I thought maybe there is a
    > > way to load all the *.properties files on the classpath, when the
    > > application starts:

    > > let's say all properties are located in

    > > /etc/apps/i18n

    > > Now: I have a single file that initializes all kind of application
    > > specific variables. One of these variables could be the key that maps
    > > the directory of all *.properties. And now my trouble begins: I don't
    > > know how, and if it is possible to load the value of that key and put
    > > the files on the web application classpath, so that Struts can use its
    > > internationalization mechanism.

    > > Does anybody has a tip or hint how to do this? Maybe with a piece of
    > > code please....

    > > Thank you very much for your answers,
    > > John

    > Sounds like a strange thing to do but if you must :)) .. what server
    > are you using? Which version of struts?

    We are using Solaris 10 maschines, Struts 1.1 (I know, I know, but
    this is what it is allowed in our company), JDK 1.5, J2EE 1.4(Servlet
    2.4, JSP 2.0 and JSTL 1.1). Can this help you for my problem?

    Thank you,
    John

    John, Apr 17, 2008